The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Replacement Key

Guest SupraKingNI

Guest SupraKingNI

Hi guys got an import few weeks ago but the key isnt in the best shape only got one any thoughts of how to replace it ? or is it as simple as getting new one cut?

Just get a new one cut :)

Toyota can sell you a blank with the logo on (and some dealers cut too), eBay has some horrific tacky key blanks you can get cut somewhere or most high street key places will have plain ones.

If the existing one is a mess the new one might not work properly until the edges round off a little.

I phoned Toyota and they wanted £139 for a new to be cut

Phone them again and tell them to STFU - they are quoting you for key with a built in chip, buttons, a torch, magic show and a tiny picture of a wombat. What you actually need is a piece of black plastic with some metal sticking out, they forget some older cars still have these and spout the price for the newer ones without thinking.

Yes. On ebay (i think) they sell something like this with a blank on, or you can cut your key off at the end and out it on the flip fitting. Cant remember where it is, give me five to search.

5 is up, unless you meant hours :D did scout ebay but couldn't find anything, quite keen on doing this if possible...

Could we get a group order would love something for me motor?

The guy who does the ones I found said he will do special rates for 50+

They may not be the most pretty but I was thinking of speaking to a custom platic moulding place to make custom Toyota/Supra keys using these as a mould - will probably cost a few quid though

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-2-BUTTON-REMOTE-SWITCHBLADE-KEY-CONVERSION-4-TOYOTA_W0QQitemZ220196349285QQihZ012QQcategoryZ10428QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

they are not bad, would be better if there was "a no button option"

Thats why I was thinking of custom mouldings.... or to put the alarm fob inside the flip key as I hate having a key, alarm fob, some over ride thing and Supra keyring to remind me and others what car I drive all on one keyring