The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Changing from plastic to Glass

Guest time2die

Guest time2die

I am sorry if there are numerous threads regarding this topic but i just upgraded my plastic lights on my imported supra to the uk Glass Equilivant.

Since it failed its Mot last year on worn rear tyres and i was warned that the crap light pattern needed sorting but they would overlook it just this one time.

After driving home from Shrewsbury at night over Christmas and not been able to see where the hell i was going.

Seemed a lot of money for some glass headlights but what a difference they have made and i now enjoy driving at night again now i can actually see the road...

I now there are lots of threads in here about taking the plastic headlights apart and putting them in the oven or something,but i am to idle to be bothered with all the hassle and having glass has to be the best option i would guess.

Guest time2die

Paid £330 for the set and had them sent to the bloke that was sorting my car out,Also upgraded the light bulbs to xenon 100watt or something.

Its been a joke since i changed the tyres last year and felt so unstable and twitchy i was beginning to hate driving it,It went of to Chris Wilson some 6/7 months ago and he said that he had done all the geo settings and it was spot on and drove better than most supra cars that he had driven.

After Chris told me that i thought it must be me but i was still not happy with the car,Changed tyres yet again from Goodyear to Toyo Proxys and there was a slight improvement but nothing special.

Someone put a flyer leaflet on my car when i was parked up in Shrewsbury about been a mechanic for 30 years and dealing with performance cars,So i took it to him and was quite shocked that the tracking according to him was really out bad on the rear,Think he said 7 degrees or something.

Dont know how this could be like this since Chris said it was spot on,Anyway after picking the car up last weekend i was amazed how the car felt and handled after this guy had changed what he thought was wrong.

Its not perfect but its the best its been in ages,The steering felt terrible ,It tramlined all over the place and i had no feeling of feedback through the steering wheel which felt wrong almost like a lose feel to it.

It was like driving on Balloons and if i was driving perfectly straight down a nice long open road then the next thing i was crossing the central reservation into oncoming traffic.

It just felt like it had a mind of its own and this only happened since i changed the Bridgestone tyres on the rear that were basically worn out to nothing.

After they were changed i then done the front to balance things up but it was still crap,Then went to toyo proxys all round and like i said slightly better but not much.

Anyway it seems a lot nicer to drive now ,Even dropped the pressure from the recommended 36psi to 32.

Yeah - I'm going to change mine thanks to this recommendation and the front indicators to clear.

Where are the cheapest places at the moment to get these ?

I have read that Steve Manley, Toyota will do them for about £270 and indicators off ebay with side ones for about £110 delivered from NZ.

Ta

H

Guest time2die

Do it mate as you will feel a lot better when you have,Got mine of the internet for £330 but i am not sure about the rules and regulations here about giving out links to such sites so i wont at present paste it on here,I just done a search for glass headlights through Google and it was one of the top sites listed.

I am sure you can get them cheaper like from the guy you mentioned,Upgrade the bulbs also,Got a set of Xenon of ebay for £14 for both headlights.:eyebrows:

Yeah - I'm going to change mine thanks to this recommendation and the front indicators to clear.

Where are the cheapest places at the moment to get these ?

I have read that Steve Manley, Toyota will do them for about £270 and indicators off ebay with side ones for about £110 delivered from NZ.

Ta

H

I'm sure most of the Traders on here could do the sidelights for less than that ;)