The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Calliper nightmare

kslb

I recently bought a NA supra that needed a little work, all of which appeared straight forward, and it was, with the exception of the brake callipers. It came with the original callipers fitted and the front pair were both damaged around the bleed nipples and leaking fluid. It also came with a spare set to fit to resolve this issue however when they were fitted it became apparent that these too had a small crack around the bleed nipple on the left side only and although I hoped it would be a surface scratch when I bled the brakes fluid leaked from this crack! I was now a little annoyed but calmed down and bought another replacement set form a forum member. When I received these I noticed they looked different, they were not so robust in appearence and when I tried to fit them it became apparent that they also had different brake pipe fittings so these were returned and I then found out they were from an aristo and I am sure with new brake pipes and a few adjustments they might have worked they were not what I was looking for. I do not blame the member who supplied these as he was informed they were the same as the supra ones but now I am out of pocket for return postage which I did not mind as I had already lined up another replacement set from another club member and although a little more expensive all I wanted was to get the supe on the road and this was the last job to do. The new replacement set arrived about 45 mins ago and I carefully unwrapped them from their packaging and thought just to be sure they were up for the job the first thing I would do was clean them up around the bleed nipple and check they were ok................... Once again there was visable cracks around the bleed nipples and I know from my recent experiences that these would give way as soon as I wound the bleed nipple out and then back in to bleed the brakes. These were not visable until the muck had been cleaned away but needless to say these are now packaged back up and awaiting a reply from the supplier to get these returned as well.

I am not feeling lucky now and once the refund and return of this set is organised I think I might sell the supe on for someone else to worry about or brake for spares which is a shame as the body work is so tidy and everything else is done but I am so frustrated with the problems I have had and so concious about keeping the cost down on this supe that I have now lost interest. I was hoping to have it on the road by now and now it is sat on axle stands needing a front left calliper and then should be ready for MOT. I have already forked out for a new windscreen and various other bits and just my luck its the last bit I do that causes the problems.

Rant over for now!

I had this issue on my car it became apparent at motorway speed when i breaked for a roundabout :blink: Im glad the Supra handles so well :D

Why sell the car over such a minor issue, get another set of calipers and get them fitted. or invest in some uk calipers and be done with crack issues :)

It is the small problems that are sent to test us :D

It is the small problems that are sent to test us :D

Don't want to invest too heavily in this one as it was supposed the one that didn't eat all the cash like the others and I don't think I could stand getting another faulty set. I will have a think about it once the return of these ones has been sorted.

Don't want to invest too heavily in this one as it was supposed the one that didn't eat all the cash like the others and I don't think I could stand getting another faulty set. I will have a think about it once the return of these ones has been sorted.

I See. It is quite a common problem, you could buy a refurbed set from brakes international. Im pretty sure they keep the j specs on the shelf i think it is around £50 if you exchange a caliper

http://www.brakesinternational.co.uk/

I See. It is quite a common problem, you could buy a refurbed set from brakes international. Im pretty sure they keep the j specs on the shelf i think it is around £50 if you exchange a caliper

http://www.brakesinternational.co.uk/

Cheers I will try them now.

Edit: Tried them and they are £80 per calliper + £25 surcharge and they said that if the one I returned was cracked I would not see the £25 back so in effect £105 per calliper.

Too much!

If you dont want to be spending on repairs/maintenance then buying a car that came out 15 years ago with many of them on the road being in excess of 10 years old, will always be an issue. Parts deteriorate with wear and tear, replacements can be a while in arriving as it is not a current model, but for most people the passion for the Supra outweighs it all ;)

Sorry to hear about your misfortune but hopefully you'll ride it out and stick with it. They're fantastic cars when they're running well, which most of them do most of the time. good luck sorting it out.

L

Sorry to hear about your misfortune but hopefully you'll ride it out and stick with it. They're fantastic cars when they're running well, which most of them do most of the time. good luck sorting it out.

L

I know they are fantastic cars when running well, the other two are running very well Eves twin is fantastic and my single is a dream and I did expect repairs/maintenance just did not plan for being sent the wrong callipers and then cracked ones. I don't mind paying the going rate for parts but I am just having bad luck at the moment. Hopefully the ones from Michel Lane will be fit for the job and I can stop being pissed off with the whole issue.