The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake issues-squealing and grinding-Warning light on

SILKYSMOOTH

Thought I eliminated all these issues but….

I recently changed all the discs and pads on the supra with 3G Grooved Discs and EBC Greenstuff pads, and everything has been fine….until a few days ago.

When braking at high speeds (only after the pads have really heated up) there was grinding noise coming through the whole car….also the warning light came on at the same time and then off again (had grinding before but no warning light)

Also there is a really annoying squealing sound coming from the wheels, I think it’s on the front/rear passenger side and its getting worse.

So anyway I was bored last night and thought I better check out what’s going on and removed the front passenger wheel to inspect the discs pads etc…I ended up dismantling the whole lot and gave them a good clean and repainted the callipers while I was there. I also noticed that I have no anti-squeal shims on the front pads but do have on the rear. I also noticed that the pistons on the calliper look a bit rusty inside and I am thinking whether or not it has seized. I will betaking the other side off too to clean them up and inspect the callipers to see if it’s in the same condition as the passenger side.

Anyway put it all back together again and bleed the brakes and now the warning light is staying on and not switching off at all. Took it for a test drive earlier today, and the warning light switches off when I kick down hard and then comes back on again when you take your foot off the pedal…but this does not happen every time I do this. Sqealing is still there, so I am assuming its the rear passenger wheel.

I thinking it could be a number of things….but would like anyone’s advice on what I can check for before I take it to Mr T for it’s scheduled service.

1- Handbrake needs adjusting, as I did not adjust them when I replaced the rear discs,

2- Calliper has seized

3- Needs bleeding properly

4- Brake fluid levels/condition

5- Replace Anti-squeal shims

6- Re-grease with copper-grease

Any advice or tips will be most appreciated,

Why is the warning-light on constantly now?

The brake level warning indication is VERY sensitive so even a few mills can make it light up, however it sounds like you another problem. Lack of anti-squeal shims will cause the a lot of noise, so that will explain the squeal

Just to troubleshoot further:

- Does the car pull slightly in either direction when under braking?

- Jack the rear up, handbrake off and try and rotate the wheel, if it's tight to turn then the handbrake system will need checking. Also check for it binding at only certain points (i.e disc issue). It shouldn't need adjusting when swapping just the pads as it has a seperate drum brake for the hand brake.

- Check for error codes

BTW, EBC greenstuffs are absolutely horrible pads for the Supra, even dangerous. Bin them and get some proper pads in there.

The brake level warning indication is VERY sensitive so even a few mills can make it light up, however it sounds like you another problem. Lack of anti-squeal shims will cause the a lot of noise, so that will explain the squeal

- Jack the rear up, handbrake off and try and rotate the wheel, if it's tight to turn then the handbrake system will need checking. Also check for it binding at only certain points (i.e disc issue). It shouldn't need adjusting when swapping just the pads as it has a seperate drum brake for the hand brake.

- Check for error codes

BTW, EBC greenstuffs are absolutely horrible pads for the Supra, even dangerous. Bin them and get some proper pads in there.

On a straight road it drives and stops dead straight.

The rear discs are new too, I changed all of them not just pads.

Im not overly impressed with the pads either but they are okay for normal driving as I don't drive it too much. Will probably change them in the future, have to put that one down to experience.

Will try what you advised, thanks.

If I top up with 5.1 quickly 1st to see if the warning light goes out before I flush it, will Mr T use 5.1 or just do it myself? I will jack it uo tomorrow to check the rear handbrake

Thanks

Unless you specify it most dealers will not use it (Dot 3 is used by default). You shouldn't mix the fluid types if you're planning on driving the car any distance, however it should be fine for a short journey to your local garage. Just make sure they fully flush and replace the fluid with good quality 5.1 (i.e. Motul).

Car is obviously in need of a decent flush through. I wouldn't take it to toyota myself. I'd find a reputable mechanic that knows what they are doing with a supra and what fluids are required.

My local Toyota really know what they are doing, I have full confidence in them, I know it's more pricy but worth it. I was hoping that this might be covered on the service but maybe not?

Thanks Guys, I will get this sorted ASAP.

- Check for error codes

Just to reiterate what Homer said before you do anything get rid if possible the greenstuff they are shit for a supra the car is far to powerfull and heavy for them , theyre mainly intended for saxos/corsas that sort of car, you are better off staying with oem pads than them ive tried loads of different types now and the best i have found in my opinion is red stuff ceramic and Carbonetic a little pricey but excellent.

Chris