The mkiv Supra Owners Club

supra tt auto mods , whats your opinion?

spiderpigcity

I have just bought a 1995 supra tt with quite a few mods already done. i have come out of a 996 turbo (awating my new one) and i was quite suprised how fast the tt was (i think its a hell of a car for 7k, the only thing is missing is the badge. i thought that a tt was a good car to knock around in until my new one comes. i believe it is running around 400 bhp at the moment. if i could tell you what it already has on it maybe you could tell me what i can do next without going to a single turbo conversion. i believe it has the following mods:-

single decat pipe (second cat still in place)

full hks exhaust system

hks induction kit

hks intercooler

hks bov

front tein strutt brace

full vielside kit and wing

front glass headlights

uk spec steel turbos

lightweight cams

new timing belt

full hks suspension

uk spec brakes with fastroad pads

viscous fan

el glow dials (which i dont like)

levoc gear lever (looks very smart)

bomex front end

18" gto rims

clear indicators

boosting at around 0.92 bar according to the gauges.

anyway i hope you guys can help me. i was thinking maybe and oil cooler, electronic boost controller, walbro fuel pump.

also is mobil 1 the best oil to use? every 3500 miles?

let me know what you think, i don't want to get too carried away.

regards

matt

My additions to your spec would be:

Second decat £70

Fuel cut defender (TRL VFCC is reputed to be the best) £50

Boost controller £100

Fuel fudger (Apexi Safc 2 or similar) £100

Colder spark plugs (NGK's or longer lasting Denso IK 22/24's) £15 - £40

Wideband sensor & guage £150

Auto line pressure increase (for faster shifts)

Trac throttle delete (for full power gear changes & no STUPID trac control)

Rolling road set up £?

If you want to spend more then there's better ways of doing some of that. The FCD & SAFC2 could both be replaced by an Emanage Ultimate, which is a FAR better tuning tool. Cost would be around £550 inc fields harness to allow easy fitting.

Welcome to the club Matt :thumbs:

Kranze has covered just about everything, just a couple more suggestions.

1. Remove the HKS induction kit and fit stock airbox, with either stock or TRD filter element. The HKS filters are notoriously bad at filtering and won't be doing any good for the life of your engine and turbos. The stock airbox is not restrictive and includes 2 cool air feeds, so you will probably notice an improvement in performance compared to the HKS filter, which draws in hot air from the engine bay.

2. If you do fit an aftermarket ECU such as the Emanage or Emanage Ultimate, then I'd also recommend fitting a set of cams, such as HKS or JUN in256/ex264, which will give you better mid and top end power.

3. An HID kit will make a big difference to night time visibility.

4. Exhaust Gas Temp (EGT) gauge would also be a good idea.

5. Is your car a UK spec, or is it a J-spec with UK turbos fitted? If it's a J-spec, then I'd fit a Walbro pump, 550cc injectors (if you fit the emanage) and a new fuel filter (if it's not been changed recently).

6. Do you know when the Oxygen sensor(s) were last renewed? If they have not been renewed for a few years, then I'd also recommend fitting new sensor(s), this will help with fuel economy and smoothness of the engine at lower rpms.

7. Make sure you have a good quality set of tyres, it would also be a good idea to get the geometry checked/adjusted if it's not been done for a while.

Also have a read here for more details -> BPU

If I can help supply any parts or if you'd like any more advice please pm me.

PS. Who did you buy the car from, as there's a very good chance that I supplied the Levoc gear knob you have fitted

Welcome to the club Matt :thumbs:

Kranze has covered just about everything, just a couple more suggestions.

1. Remove the HKS induction kit and fit stock airbox, with either stock or TRD filter element. The HKS filters are notoriously bad at filtering and won't be doing any good for the life of your engine and turbos. The stock airbox is not restrictive and includes 2 cool air feeds, so you will probably notice an improvement in performance compared to the HKS filter, which draws in hot air from the engine bay.

2. If you do fit an aftermarket ECU such as the Emanage or Emanage Ultimate, then I'd also recommend fitting a set of cams, such as HKS or JUN in256/ex264, which will give you better mid and top end power.

3. An HID kit will make a big difference to night time visibility.

4. Exhaust Gas Temp (EGT) gauge would also be a good idea.

5. Is your car a UK spec, or is it a J-spec with UK turbos fitted? If it's a J-spec, then I'd fit a Walbro pump, 550cc injectors (if you fit the emanage) and a new fuel filter (if it's not been changed recently).

6. Do you know when the Oxygen sensor(s) were last renewed? If they have not been renewed for a few years, then I'd also recommend fitting new sensor(s), this will help with fuel economy and smoothness of the engine at lower rpms.

7. Make sure you have a good quality set of tyres, it would also be a good idea to get the geometry checked/adjusted if it's not been done for a while.

Also have a read here for more details -> BPU

If I can help supply any parts or if you'd like any more advice please pm me.

PS. Who did you buy the car from, as there's a very good chance that I supplied the Levoc gear knob you have fitted

hi nic,

i bought the car from a guy called marcus in witney near oxford.

it has already got 3 greddy guages i forgot to mention. one is oil pressure ticking over at 2 bar going to 8 when on full boost. one displays temp around 90 and the other displays temp around 110 so i presume one is oil temp and the other intercooler temp?

1. where do i get a stock airbox from and any other pipes etc, i will need.

2. just found a receipt for new oxygen sensor

3. it already has hks lightened cams

4. currently boosting at .9 bar, would boost controller taking to 1.2 bar actually give me any noticable horsepower increase?

thanks a lot guys for the replies, well appreciated

matt

does second decat mean i fail mot, i cant be doing with putting it on every year for mot. can i still do the mods you suggest without changeing 2nd cat?

regards

matt

hi nic,

it has already got 3 greddy guages i forgot to mention. one is oil pressure ticking over at 2 bar going to 8 when on full boost. one displays temp around 90 and the other displays temp around 110 so i presume one is oil temp and the other intercooler temp?

4. currently boosting at .9 bar, would boost controller taking to 1.2 bar actually give me any noticable horsepower increase?

matt

the car is j spec with the uk turbos on

regards

matt

hi nic,

matt

Your 2 temp gauges are most likely for the water temp and oil temp.

I have a second hand TT airbox and TOMS filter if needed.

There is a big difference between 0.9bar and 1.2bar, at 0.9bar I'd estimate you're running around 330 - 340hp, 1.2bar will take this up to close to 400hp.

does second decat mean i fail mot, i cant be doing with putting it on every year for mot. can i still do the mods you suggest without changeing 2nd cat?

The cats are quite restrictive, if you raise the boost you could find the exhaust gas temps getting quite high on long runs, which is not good, one of the reasons why I'd suggest fitting an EGT gauge.

Removing the second cat will improve spool up of the turbos ie. making it more responsive, the second cat is quite easy to replace come MOT time.

thanks nic,

so if i get

1. egt gauge

2. walbro pump

3. *fcd*

4. *boost controller*

5. your second hand airbox and bits needed

6. wideband sensor & gauge

7. wideband sensor

*if i get the emanage does it replace the boost controller, the fcd and the wideband sensor or do i still need them?

just trying to figure out which is best way to do it.

my aim is to stop the car from hitting fuel cut off.

regards

matt

thanks nic,

so if i get

1. egt gauge

2. walbro pump

3. *fcd*

4. *boost controller*

7. wideband sensor

*if i get the emanage does it replace the boost controller, the fcd and the wideband sensor or do i still need them?

regards

matt

Emanage Ult replaces FCD and vehicle speed cut. The wideband can wire into the Emanage to self tune the fuelling (a useful feature if you've fitted 550 injectors or made other changes that will put the fuelling way out), but it will still require a rolling road tune to optimise.

Boost controller is seperate to Emanage.

A 2nd decat will be useful in your case as it will allow the turbos to spool faster (as Nic says) but you won't need a restrictor ring like the Jspec turbos as the UK turbos have a bigger wastegate. Also you'll make more power :)

You may already have an upgraded fuel pump. Its not too difficult to check, just requires whipping it out. If not they are only £70.

thanks nic,

so if i get

1. egt gauge

2. walbro pump

3. *fcd*

4. *boost controller*

7. wideband sensor

regards

matt

If you fit an emanage you will not need the FCD. It does not replace the boost controller and wideband sensor/gauge.

1. egt gauge

2. walbro pump

3. *fcd*

4. *boost controller*

or

1. EGT Gauge

2. Walbro Pump

3. Emanage (Ultimate) and all associated harnesses and sensors.

4. Boost Controller

5. Stock Airbox

6. Wideband sensor and gauge

The stock j-spec is limited to 112mph, only the UK spec was limited to 155mph.

You can get Emanage Ultimate on here second hand. Here's one at £300 http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=131191

I bought a new unused kit at a very good price http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=98535

Easiest to fit with a fields harness, which goes in between the car's ECU and the wiring loom and allows all the connections from the Emanage etc to be hard wired into the fields harness, then fitted to the car. Its sort of plug & play :)

Make sure that you get the revision D ultimate as earlier versions can suffer from the ignition chip falling off!

where do i get emanage ult from and is it easy enough to fit?

also what boost controller would you use, i was thinking apexi?

regards

matt

I can supply the Emanage Ultimate and all the supporting parts. I'll pm you details. If you can use a soldering iron they are not too difficult to fit, just a case of splicing into the right wires from the ECU. It would need mapping though on a rolling road.

I would go for either a Blitz or HKS boost controller. All the Blitz EBC's use dual solenoid which helps keep boost stable.

I personally use the new HKS EVC VI as I also have an HKS F-con Pro V ECU installed, the EVC VI has the clearest screen of any of the boost controllers and a lot of functions, it's not the easiest to set up though.

Blitz Spec R

http://www.blitz-uk.co.uk/images/products/variantimages/main/15059_2_L.jpg

Blitz SBC iD III

http://www.blitz-uk.co.uk/images/products/variantimages/main/SBCID3_L.jpg

Blitz SBC iColor

http://www.blitz-uk.co.uk/images/products/variantimages/main/SBCiColor3_L.jpg

HKS EVC VI

http://www.hksusa.com/images_products/L_3210.jpg