The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Pads other than CW

jassi_hayre

Hi all,

Thinking of upgrading my standard J spec NA brake pads all round and then upgrading to UK spec brakes when budget allows.

The Chris Wilson brake pads seem to be recommended highly but are there any other pads I should consider?

I'll probably upgrade to braided hoses and dot 5.1 fluid.

Is it difficult to change brake pads?

I ask because I was also thinking of doing some track days in the summer (one of the reasons I bought the car) and was wondering if I should get two sets of brake pads

One for daily drive and another set for trackdays!

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Jas

Get the CW full race Jspec pads if you're tracking the car.

Short of UK brakes with decent pads, these should last the trackday. The CW fast road pads probably won't withstand the heat of a decent track driver (depends on how decent you are? :)).

The only down side is the full race pads won't be much good on the road as they will have poor bite from cold, so you'll need to change pads at the track & back again after a day's fun.

Either that or go for UK brakes with CW fast road pads, which is where I think you'll end up anyway.

Contact CW (Chris Wilson) about his pads. Contact other traders on here about other pads. There was a thread on here a whils back where people listed their preference for pads in order of performance, however IIRC the top pads were very expensive.

Edit: This is it http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=114296

The p[ost by Dusty is interesting.

Get the braised goodridge hoses off Ebay. Or other members may have a set going spare?

The only down side is the full race pads won't be much good on the road as they will have poor bite from cold, so you'll need to change pads at the track & back again after a day's fun.

i have done one track day and about 30-40K road miles on CW race pads and they are absolutely fine for road use, the only downsides are a bit of squealing on light application and the dust....