The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Ideas

xanderroan

Hey Guys,

I picked up my Supra with the idea of making it a longish term project. Having browsed through the members gallery and spent some time on the forums I've been really impressed by some of the cars in the club and also some of the work being done by the traders. Looks like lot's of people have got plenty of good things going on.

I thought it might be fun to start a thread asking a couple of questions to help build some inspiration for my car, so here they are:

1) If you had an open cheque book what kind of design/theme/set up would you like to go for

2) Have you seen any inspirational cars that you love (links plix!)

For me, I haven't figured it out fully yet, but so far I know I want to go for a turbo six speed aerotop and build it with a very japanese theme (want to give it a kind of anime look and feel), after I get the basic set up and bodywork i'll start thinking about tuning, suspension and brakes.. (it's gonna be real long term!).. Yeah - that's very general right now, but i'm going to work on some drawings to get started :)

Hey Guys,

I picked up my Supra with the idea of making it a longish term project. Having browsed through the members gallery and spent some time on the forums I've been really impressed by some of the cars in the club and also some of the work being done by the traders. Looks like lot's of people have got plenty of good things going on.

I thought it might be fun to start a thread asking a couple of questions to help build some inspiration for my car, so here they are:

1) If you had an open cheque book what kind of design/theme/set up would you like to go for

2) Have you seen any inspirational cars that you love (links plix!)

For me, I haven't figured it out fully yet, but so far I know I want to go for a turbo six speed aerotop and build it with a very japanese theme (want to give it a kind of anime look and feel), after I get the basic set up and bodywork i'll start thinking about tuning, suspension and brakes.. (it's gonna be real long term!).. Yeah - that's very general right now, but i'm going to work on some drawings to get started :)

No such thing as an open cheque book project....

Personally, at the moment I'd suggest doing powertrain/chassis work before doing bodywork. Remember you drive a car, not look at it :)

One of my fav's is the the Ryan Woon car which looked pretty much as stock as it could, dash included, but it had the money spent where it counts.

PS : No unmodified aerotop 6 speeds exist, they are all conversions. If you are really going to start from scratch you might benefit from looking at something like an aerotop NA auto, and then doing an upgrade that way, but be warned it isn't cheap by a long stretch and the cars really won't make their money back.

yeah, i definitely don't have an open cheque book, just wondering what people would like to do if they didn't have to think about cost. Hmm what kind of powertrain/chassis work would you recommend after getting the 6 speed sorted out? Just checked out the Ryan Woon car on youtube - nice stuff :)

Just picked up the NA auto, first step is the conversion :)

Is performance or looks more important to you?

If I had an NA aeroflop, I'd sell it and buy a hardtop. If it was a hardtop I'd:

- Bin the NA and drivetrain for something better (they cannot be modded for any reasonable budget)

- Get the suspension setup correctly (after fitting your choice from above)

- Install some decent brakes

For starters ;)

NA's can be had for

Just checked out the Ryan Woon car on youtube - nice stuff :)

You're short by about $200k to build something like that, but there are other options open. What sort of cars have you owned in the past? Are you used to 300+ bhp RWD cars?

Whats your budget? £5k, £10k, £15K or more?

Is performance or looks more important to you?

If I had an NA aeroflop, I'd sell it and buy a hardtop. If it was a hardtop I'd:

hmm i'd say performance probably beats looks, although i really do want to stick with the aerotop, love driving open/targa top cars when it does stop raining. Does the 'flop' suffer from an rigidity issues? I kind of assumed the remaining roof section would make it a lot better than a full soft top...?

I hadn't considered going for anything other than putting in a TT 6 speed to start with, but I guess I could look at something more custom straight away.. hmm time for more research maybe :)

Budget for me is probably going to be about 10-15k initially (over the next year), but in stages.

Loving the understated styling on the WOTM car :) Slightly scared by the performance though.. most powerful car i've owned is a 330bhp gt-four, so I need to ease into the whole rwd thing!

hmm i'd say performance probably beats looks, although i really do want to stick with the aerotop, love driving open/targa top cars when it does stop raining. Does the 'flop' suffer from an rigidity issues? I kind of assumed the remaining roof section would make it a lot better than a full soft top...?

Some will argue this, but from the aero's I've driven there is a major difference in handling (especially when pushed hard) between the hardtop and the aero. I would personally never consider an aero due to the handling compromise.

A little bit of roof thats barely secured to the rest of the car (4 tiny bolts) makes only a tiny difference. It still has bad scuttle shake and still handles like a bean bag.

If you want a car that handles properly, get a hardtop. It's pointless modding an aero to be a fast street/track car.

You wouldn't want to drive it on the road, would you gav? 150bhp at 6krpm, 1500bhp at 8krpm :D

Could be fun once it's over 150mph :D

Looks wise, spot on ;)

What a power band though :p You just couldn't put your foot down in anything other than 6th, and that would be interesting with the weather at the mo :) (read undriveable)

I've got a transplanted single into an aerotop (tis off the road at the mo while I do some final touches (read, put some money into it)), and yes they aren't as stable as the hardtops, but I agree with the fact that it is nice to drive them without the roof. If you REALLY want to nail it tight then a full cage might be an option. I'm seriously considering a half cage for safety.

I hadn't considered going for anything other than putting in a TT 6 speed to start with, but I guess I could look at something more custom straight away.. hmm time for more research maybe :)

Okay, be careful if you get a VVTi engine (there is a lot more to change, experience speaking). A straightforward engine swap isn't too bad if it is a non-vvti. Other things to consider change is the diff. I doubt your NA has an LSD, and they do help the handling a lot. £3000+

A few people have found benefits with replacing the suspension arms and bushes, commenting that it really tightens the handling back up again, but this isn't cheap either £1500 I think.

Budget for me is probably going to be about 10-15k initially (over the next year), but in stages.

Loving the understated styling on the WOTM car :)

It is definitely the way forward isn't it :)

As long as it doesn't end up looking like this fine specimen I spotted a while back in the Tesco's car park. I've spotted it with some further upgrades, it has had a bigger spoiler added and spinners....

http://www.slipstreem.net/mkivsupra/images/pimped1.jpg

http://www.slipstreem.net/mkivsupra/images/pimped2.jpg

As long as it doesn't end up looking like this fine specimen I spotted a while back in the Tesco's car park. I've spotted it with some further upgrades, it has had a bigger spoiler added and spinners....

Mate - I feel disgusted that the above picture is even on my 'project ideas' thread! haha - there is no way anything like that will happen :)

Personaly I would replace all the suspension joints with either aftermarket or stock parts. Change the shocks, get the car set up by someone who knows what they are doing and corner weighted. I would then lighten the car as much as possible with using real carbon parts (not just overlay) strip out anything that isnt needed (back seats an boot stuff) and then start thinking about power.

First thing I would do is pay Chris Wilson a visit to get a top class handling and ride. Hmmmmm.......if only.

Yer but the thread is asking about what you would do to a car :p:d

If I were starting a project, I would also want the car to look good. I would get a big (posh aka non chav) kit, chrome the engine bay etc. Yes a superb drive benefits you, but most people who you want to see the car won't be able to appreciate the engine from the outside.

This thread has been an interesting read so far.

My perfect project would be to completely gut the car and replace every suspension component with brand new oem. Rebuilt engine and a small tubby producing as much torque as possible while maintaining traction(not chasing horsepower figures)

while in bits replace anything unneccessary and swap some parts to carbon fibre where weight could be saved.

Followed by a bare metal respray in Nissan millenium jade.

Not that i have thought about it much or anything :p

After loosing my engine in July 2007 I have taken the rebuild project very carefully and have changed my mind many times along the way, the car will be built for drivability first with the added touches that will hopefully give me a very powerful car when required, this has included replacing many already modified items because they will enhance the set up better than those already fitted, this is one area where expence really starts to mount up, some of the interesting changes from original spec are

Built engine from new block with Brian Crower rods, ARP head bolts and studs

new oil pump and water pump

all new gaskets

272 in and 272 ex HKS cams

Titanium retainers

Uprated valve springs

T04R turbo changed to a T67DBB for quicker spooling and a bit more top end power

Fuel system changed to include full braided lines from tank to FPR, also increased cc on injectors to 865cc from 650cc

19" Blitz alloys changed for 18" Weds with Toyo tyres for traction and handling improvement

Fuel filter change to an Aeromotive for better flow

Water injection added for cooler charge temps

NOS added and will be mapped for faster spool then shuts down

AEM engine management with AEM digital readout

My point really is that these projects never really end :D, and that you really have to be ready to keep on spending, it is great fun and can be very rewarding but be prepared to have an expensive journey getting there from a stock car

First thing would be to talk to a reputable tuner and explain what you want from the car and then talk about what your budget is and you will have an idea then where you can take it

Good luck mate and keep us posted

Money no object?

Are you sure? I could spend £150k quite easily if it was someone elses money.

First, strip the NA aerotop shell to it's knickers. Between the chassis rails have cross braces welded in to try and stiffen the thing up. Take the bare shell to a decent bodyshop with an oven, have them fully weatherproof the floorpan and wheel arches, then have them spray the entire shell, with as many layers of primers, paint and laquer that they reccomend, in the colour of your choice (I'd choose Audi black). Use OEM aerokit & spoiler.

Then have an entire new loom wired in, new heater matrix too lol.

Buy a Titan 3400cc longblock with a baffled sump, a balanced crank, titanium rods and Cosworth pistons. A Titan street/race2 head to complete. I'd use a virtual works intake manifold too and 264 cams.

I'd use a pair of GT28 sized VNT turbochargers, bolted to a GReddy twin manifold, and a Chris Wilson Smic.

Then I'd ship it to AFR for assembly and mount onto his engine dyno for RyanG to map, using a EMS of Ryans choice.

Once mapped, it would be installed in the car, with a refreshed stock 6 speed box, Carbonetics clutch and LSD.

Chris Wilson would supply & fit new bushes, arbs & suspension components and setup the geo. StopTech 355mm slotted discs, 4 pot calipers with supplied pads.

I'd have the dash body retrimed in black nappa leather with mustard stitching, the dash facia would be black chromed steel, with brushed aluminium details (bezels & knobs) Door cards and pillars would be retrimed in matched leather & stitching, the carpet would be black, the seats & roof lining would be Armedchair CA41 tan, Bose stereo and speakers to refit standard items.

RUF was inspiration.

Whereabouts are you ? If not too far, then why not pop over and I'll take you for a spin in mine - I'm in the Gatwick area. Have a look in my owners garage ;) http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpicgallery.php?do=hall&u=2287 Just running the new engine in and need to map it, but will give you an idea :)

Now, I know I said earlier that the idea of a more subtle look (incl paintwork) would be nice, but completely disregarding that comment I love the look of your car Muffleman, that is a real nice finish :) I live in N. London, could easily head over to Gatwick to take you up on the offer of a spin! Let me know when your around, I work abroad Mon - Thurs though

Whereabouts are you ? If not too far, then why not pop over and I'll take you for a spin in mine - I'm in the Gatwick area. Have a look in my owners garage ;) http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpicgallery.php?do=hall&u=2287 Just running the new engine in and need to map it, but will give you an idea :)

Im in gatwick, will you take me out in your car too....? :)