The mkiv Supra Owners Club

J spec NA UK brake upgrade alternatives

jassi_hayre

Evening All,

I'm using my J Spec NA to commute everyday and have scared myself a couple of times on the motorway due to lack of braking power.

Having searched the forums i'm thinking of upgrading to UK spec setup. From what I can tell I would need

Front and rear OEM callipers

Front and rear OEM discs

Front and rear pads most seem to push Chris Wilson pads (I think thats what they are called)

Braided hoses

Dot 5.1 fluid

Is this list correct? (anything missing) What should I budget for this if I try and fit myself?

Is this an overkill for an NA?

Are there any other alternatives that would suffice e.g. maybe just uk spec front upgrade with my front setup moved to the back or just better pads for rear or maybe just better pads all round?

If better pads would suffice what I can I use?

Reason I ask about alternatives is that money is a bit tight at present. But having said that I would like to do some track days in the summer so don't want to have to spend twice!

Should anything else be considered?

Also, where can I source the parts at reasonable prices?

Your help would be much appreciated

Jas

Hmmm, I've tracked the NA before and not had a problem with the brakes on it.

However the suggestion of CW pads, lines and a good fluid are definitely sound advice. My other supra had UK's on an NA and they are fantastic at stopping :)

If money is tight, I would think carefully about a track day, as they are expensive especially if it is your daily runner. A track day will probably cost you a set of tyres, full service and a set of pads and fluids.

Thanks All,

I take it the kit Nic is supplying is not OEM UK spec? I ask because in one of the posts he says he can also supply UK spec rears.

This kit would work out 900, is this a good price?

Sorry Nic, no disrespect intended just I'm new to all this having moved from a small cheap run around (no i'm not revealing what it was) where I probably could have replaced every part for 900!

Thanks

Jas

Thanks All,

I take it the kit Nic is supplying is not OEM UK spec? I ask because in one of the posts he says he can also supply UK spec rears.

Sorry Nic, no disrespect intended just I'm new to all this having moved from a small cheap run around (no i'm not revealing what it was) where I probably could have replaced every part for 900!

Thanks

Jas

Nic supplies brand new OEM UK spec at £730 without pads. You can pick these up for £500 to £600 second hand (with second hand pads = throw away & buy new).

Depends if you trust second hand or like new :D

I'm using my J Spec NA to commute everyday and have scared myself a couple of times on the motorway due to lack of braking power.

Sounds like you could try paying more attention when driving. Would save you the expensive of upgrading your brakes.

Alternatively just fit some decent pads and fluid, and maybe some braided lines and a master cylinder brace. The NA spec brakes can be made much better.

Thanks All,

Thanks

Jas

Nic is probably the cheapest person on here for OEM parts. You will struggle to find a better deal.

The NA spec brakes can be made much better.

yeah that, good pads make a massive difference to pedal feel and fade resistance...........

...........generally though these pads can produce quite a large amount of dust which can ruin alloys if you don't keep on top of the cleaning.........

As others have said UK brakes make a huge difference. As you have new alloys think about the brake pad you use as I put Hawk pads on at one point and was forever cleaning off the brake dust.

Just out if interest what tyres are on the alloys that will make a difference to your braking distances as well. IMO a car with jspecs on good quality tyres will stop better than on with UKs with budget ones

Thanks All,

Thanks

Jas

Hi Jas

If you were to buy front and rear brakes at the same time, I could do you a better delivered price.

I don't supply discs as they are very heavy/expensive to post from here so work out slightly cheaper to buy locally.

If you would like more details drop me a pm.

cheers