The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo Sizing Etc

supraguye

Hi Guys,

I am looking to do a small single on my car (J-Spec Vvti). Only looking for ~450 rwhp. Would like to keep the car as quick spooling as possible.

Don't have the cash to run out and buy a boost logic or PH kit. My turbos are on the way out hence the reason for me even looking to go single.

I am currently looking to purchase the following:

- ebay manifold(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stainless-Supra-Turbo-Manifold-2JZGTE-2JZ-GTE-MKIV-321_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ016QQitemZ260205632363QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

- tial 46mm wastegate

- aeromotive FPR

- emanage ultimate for tuning (already have this)

I will fabricate and purchase all the other lil bits as I go along.

i would really appcreciate some help in turbo sizing though. For my HP goals, what turbo would you guys reccomend. There are so many options, I am beginning to get confused. (GT30, GT35, T58, T61, SC44)

Also, is it possible to use my stock injectors at low boost until I can afford to upgrade.

Thanks

Hi Mate

I would not do a single on a budget first of all, a bit negative I know but trust me you will pay for it in the long run

That manifold is VERY cheap, and you get what you pay for, also and I dont know for sure that is a US manifold for a LHD car so may have a fitting issue?

You will get lots of advice on here about singles and I would use it, I wish i have asked some of the clued up members more when I was modding at the beginning, it would have saved me a fortune

shameless plug.... in the for sale section I have HKS fuelling rail, injectors and a HKS T04R turbo :innocent:

I absolutely agree on the cheap/budget build but i do understand some can no afford the higher dollar items. With that said, purchase wisely and know you may cause problems to yourself in the long run and many more dollars to fix.

I had a T61 on my car and absolultely loved it. I made 400rwhp at 1.1 bar on an automatic. It spooled like crazy. I only switched for a bit more power in the form of 67dbb setup. I'm going to be sending the t61 in for rebuild and i may be interested in selling it :p

I also have most of the items such as tial 46, fpr and so forth in stock i can ship with the t61 :p

The last place to want to skimp is the manifold. The cheapest route to a single for you IMO:

BL manifold, oil lines, down pipe connecting to your second decat, Trail Wastegate etc etc

Rebuilt Turbo T61 from Kyle (I'm sure he would do you a cracking deal)

PE 650cc injectors direct drop in to your stock rail.

AEM AFR gauge

Reuse your EMU, Stock FPR, Walbro, SMIC (if in good condition)

Ian C to map the EMU

BUT seriously you need to have some money on one side just in case and it always works out more in the end! Trust me! Also how good is your box? Just thinking really if you don 't have at least or don't want to spend 4-5k then TBH you would be better off buying a set of j-spec turbos in good condition for a few hundred pounds and save for a single may be at a later date. Also have you been in a single?

That looks ok to my untutored eye, up until the point I realised that the turbo is pointing in the wrong direction :blink: Put that on and it'll face the windscreen! The images haven't been inadvertently mirrored because the writing on the turbo is still the right way around, and I can't see it being upside down as then the wastegate exit would point up at the bonnet so I've no bloody idea what's going on there. Am I missing something simple?

-Ian

The last place to want to skimp is the manifold. The cheapest route to a single for you IMO:

BL manifold, oil lines, down pipe connecting to your second decat, Trail Wastegate etc etc

AEM AFR gauge

Ian C to map the EMU

BUT seriously you need to have some money on one side just in case and it always works out more in the end! Trust me! Also how good is your box? Just thinking really if you don 't have at least or don't want to spend 4-5k then TBH you would be better off buying a set of j-spec turbos in good condition for a few hundred pounds and save for a single may be at a later date. Also have you been in a single?

Of course Rob :D

But you may want to also consider a full blown BL kit....such that i'm offering fairly cheap in my trader section. Just compare those prices to what it would cost building your own and i dont think its worth the hassle in my humble opinion.

Not any more chap, I'm done :) Soz.

Sorry matey didn't realize that you had stop doing that :( A shame as your the only one that i would have trusted to map a EMU tbh good job i went AEM :D

Of course Rob :D

But you may want to also consider a full blown BL kit....such that i'm offering fairly cheap in my trader section. Just compare those prices to what it would cost building your own and i dont think its worth the hassle in my humble opinion.

Just seen that 2k for the whole kit that is a very good price :thumbs:

AEM AFR gauge

Ian C to map the EMU

Push come to shove, I can spend on it.... but i would prefer not to as the wifey to be may magically turn into the girl I can't have if i do :D

Guess the search replacement twins begins

That looks ok to my untutored eye, up until the point I realised that the turbo is pointing in the wrong direction :blink: Put that on and it'll face the windscreen! The images haven't been inadvertently mirrored because the writing on the turbo is still the right way around, and I can't see it being upside down as then the wastegate exit would point up at the bonnet so I've no bloody idea what's going on there. Am I missing something simple?

-Ian

wow ... u r right ian

right just to put some balance back in this, yes you can build a single on a modest budget IF you are handy and know the difference between a terminal driver and a lump hammer, on the issue of manifolds (and before we start i paid 1k for mine with a down pipe) how many have failed, Ryan G alledgedly had a bit of weld break off but was this ever proved or substanciated, my understanding of these cheap manifolds is they are made in china where they pay peanuts (or rice) this would explain (some of) the low cost, and lets be honest at £100 a pop if the thing lasted 6 months - who cares.

I'm not sure how you'd "substantiate" the weld breaking off and causing the damage to Ryan's turbo, but when the turbo has damage synonymous to hard foreign objects going through it and parts of the weld in the manifold broke off when poked, I think it's a reasonable conclusion. He still had 6 intact spark plugs and pistons :shrug:

-Ian

I'm not sure how you'd "substantiate" the weld breaking off and causing the damage to Ryan's turbo, but when the turbo has damage synonymous to hard foreign objects going through it and parts of the weld in the manifold broke off when poked, I think it's a reasonable conclusion. He still had 6 intact spark plugs and pistons :shrug:

-Ian

fair point Ian, but thats only one, i've asked this question before about failed manifolds and got zero reply

Ryan found a lump of weld stuck in the wastegate when he removed the turbo. As Ian says there was no other sign of damage other than a knackered turbo and a blob of weld in the wastegate.

I think that Paul and myself were lucky with our manifolds, but thats not the case for others. My manifold needed some adjustment as the wastgate tube was positioned incorrected causing the wastegate to touch the block. It's hassle and cost that you just don't get with the premium brands.

If I were doing it again with a small turbo I'd use one of Arnouts cast manifolds.

fair point Ian, but thats only one, i've asked this question before about failed manifolds and got zero reply

There was also Gaz's one where the hole for the wastegate was so small it couldn't control boost. It was wideneded but later the manifold cracked (not sure if it was in the place where it was adjusted). Can't think of any others right now, but there are certainly quality control problems with them (no two seem the same)