The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie says hi (and a few questions obviously ;))

Guest anoyceperson

Guest anoyceperson

Hi Guys,

Just joined the forum as I am looking into maybe purchasing a supra and wanted to try and find out some more info about them.

I see there are some very useful documents on here about the different varieties of supras etc however what I am really interested in is the running costs on these babies.

If we just ignore the petrol costs for the time being as I can work that bit out myself roughly how much are you looking at per month on average to run one of these?

I would only be doing about 6k miles a year.

Insurance - depends on your age

Road Tax - 200 a year

Fuel approx £70 per 350 miles (at best)

Say your insurance is 1k, your roadtax is 200 and you do 6000 miles

Thats around 2400 which is £200 a month. Add into that servicing and general running costs such as tyres and misc fluids etc as long as you don't buy a bucket £250-£300 a month should do it including insurance and petrol.

Scott =op

Insurance - depends on your age

Road Tax - 200 a year

Fuel approx £70 per 350 miles (at best)

Say your insurance is 1k, your roadtax is 200 and you do 6000 miles

Thats around 2400 which is £200 a month. Add into that servicing and general running costs such as tyres and misc fluids etc as long as you don't buy a bucket £250-£300 a month should do it including insurance and petrol.

Scott =op

Mines only doing 200 miles for £70, is that because it needs a new 02 sensor?

Guest anoyceperson

Right, well I have been quoted about £700 a year fully comp on a UK spec Turbo so I am guessing anything else would be a bit less so thats not too bad.

Am I correct in thinking that as long as you go for a standard car with good service history then generally supras are pretty reliable? I cant really afford to be without a car as I need it to get to work!!

Another question, are the turbos much different to the N/A's on the fuel efficiency front? as it would appear that that will be most of the costs per month!!

Also I have been looking and there do not appear to be all that many Manual Turbos kicking about. How much would you be looking to spend for a fairly decent one (ie one that isnt going to cost me an arm and a leg in repairs!!)?

Right, well I have been quoted about £700 a year fully comp on a UK spec Turbo so I am guessing anything else would be a bit less so thats not too bad.

Am I correct in thinking that as long as you go for a standard car with good service history then generally supras are pretty reliable? I cant really afford to be without a car as I need it to get to work!!

Another question, are the turbos much different to the N/A's on the fuel efficiency front? as it would appear that that will be most of the costs per month!!

Also I have been looking and there do not appear to be all that many Manual Turbos kicking about. How much would you be looking to spend for a fairly decent one (ie one that isnt going to cost me an arm and a leg in repairs!!)?

Hi and welcome to the club.Ithink you will find uk is cheeper to insure than jspec.

Reliability is great as with most sports toyota's.

Decent standard manual 8.5k

Turbo is simply for the grin factor, N/A's are great cars too. Same goes for Auto vs Manual. Manual is for grin factor and control, auto is for taking it easy while flying by the seat of your pants lol.

Scott =op

Guest anoyceperson
Reliability is great as with most sports toyota's.

Decent standard manual 8.5k

Turbo is simply for the grin factor, N/A's are great cars too. Same goes for Auto vs Manual. Manual is for grin factor and control, auto is for taking it easy while flying by the seat of your pants lol.

Scott =op

To be honest I have never been a fan of autos which is why I am looking at manuals.

I have been trying to find some specs for the supra (ie performance figures and mpg etc) but I have looked on Parkers and they only have details for the TT and various other places I looked only have specs for that as well. Can anyone point me in the direction of where I might be able to find any of these? I have read the two very good documents this section that talks about the differences between the models which has cleared up quite a few things.

Guest anoyceperson

My god you werent kidding about the difference in insurance costs for Jap and UK models!!!

I just got a quote on the UK model TT and that came in at £521.30

I then got a quote on an import RZ TT and it came in at £2647.65!!!

Why on earth is there such a huge difference! Are they a lot more likely to be crashed or just considerably more expensive to repair if they are crashed or something?

My god you werent kidding about the difference in insurance costs for Jap and UK models!!!

I just got a quote on the UK model TT and that came in at £521.30

I then got a quote on an import RZ TT and it came in at £2647.65!!!

Why on earth is there such a huge difference! Are they a lot more likely to be crashed or just considerably more expensive to repair if they are crashed or something?

not sure who you got quoted by, but something is not right there, a good few hundred difference but not 2100

Guest anoyceperson

I just whacked it into Confused.com to get some ideas of prices so not the best way of doing it. Would need to do some proper research was I to actually get one!!

Guest anoyceperson

Cheers guys, unfortunately its looking as though this plan of mine might not be coming to fruition as I have just put an offer in on a house and so probably wont be able to afford it for a little while now. :(

Ah well just in case it does I have another question.

My sensible side of me has made me wonder if this is a recipe for suicide! I have never driven a RWD car before. Is the Supra good car to learn the ropes on or is it quite easy to get it all horribly wrong and end up going very fast backwards through a hedge?

Depends on your style of driving really.

Any powerfull rear wheel drive will be a bit iffy to learn in but if its driven with care you should be fine. Its always good to find an empty carpark and put the foot down while turning to see what can go wrong and what happens when it does.

Scott =op