The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mot - I feel guilty but should I?

Sparky

Well the Supe went in for its MOT retest after i replaced the lower arm (Ball joint) and fixed the foglight.

Long story short they failed it at 12.00 mid day because the fog light had been wired through a relay and made the lights flicker (I didnt fit it but whoever did needs shooting).

I spent 4 hours in the car park sorting out the wiring and in the process found that the foglight was wired in on the same cables as the alarm and when i diconnected them it made the alarm go crazy.

At 4.30 my mate who works there comes out to say sorry but the mot testers gone home and ill need to pay for a full retest! :(

Got in to pay the first mot off and my mate took the keys and another mot tester put it through and it was fine.

When i came to pay however the member of staff serving told me there would be a £20 partial retest fee, I accepted and he punched in £20 ino the card machine. Now im very truthful and i told him i hadnt paid for the first mot but he just smiled and put it through anyways at £20. :)

Now I feel guilty, what if someone finds out and sacks the bloke?:(

I thought retests were free?

Could this be why my MOT tester insisted that I leave the car there for him to fix/await replacement part rather than let me take it away and bring back the next day?

He said it was a PITA to take it off and back onto the computerised MOT system.

Looking at the back of the failure sheet i recieved, it mentioned that you have ten working days to return the car to the garage to finish the mot and there may be a partial retest fee.

I took it to a main dealer as it was booked in same day thanks to a friend but they're usually more expensive and they had a partial retest fee policy. Not all do though.:)