The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What would be better?

charlton

Buying a pre facelift Supra aerotop TT and converting it to manual or a facelift aerotop then converting it to a manual TT - both would need to have big BHP/HP/RWHP/PS or any other form of power measuring for cars there is.

Wouldn't be too fussed about resale value, the way the prices are going recently they will be giving them away in cereal boxes soon :D more interested in the cost to mod for power/handling etc

I know a facelift is more desireable should it come to a selling point but I did not know if the VVTi engine is more or less tuneable than the pre facelift engine - also if it costs more

I wouldn't be able to do this for a while but you gotta plan ahead ;)

Would probably go for a pre facelift and then drop my 5 speed in there for a while - untill I melt the clutch!!

As someone who has done the NA aerotop to facelift VVTi single aerotop tiptronic, it isn't an easy job as there are a lot of quirky things when moving to a facelift. You will need entire dash looms. Also the vvti engine is very quirky when it comes to engine management systems, and in my experience you will benefit from going straight away to a standalone unit.

PS : No point in getting an aerotop TT if you are going to go VVTi, just get an NA one and take everything out. If you are feeling REALLY brave the easiest option might be to get a facelift VVTi car and a cheap aerotop NA and do a shell swap.

As I understand it the VVTI engine is harder to tune, but you could always stick a non VVTI TT engine in a facelift car anyway.

Mike

From what I understand from Jezz the VVTi is fly by wire throtle or something like that and has different ECU's etc so it would be difficult to swap a non VVTi with a VVTi

If you are feeling REALLY brave the easiest option might be to get a facelift VVTi car and a cheap aerotop NA and do a shell swap.

I was thinking of getting a facelift aero and a facelift manual tt then putting the engine and gear box into the aerotop. Of course I will also need approval from the missus which wont be easy :D