The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tanabe exhaust restrictive? (single) HELP!

rob wild

Right then i think i've made a decision over my exhaust choice and have some really good prices but which one? Im looking for something that is not going to be restrictive (as my current one is) but is quiet. So after listening to clip after clip on youtube the Tanabe exhausts sound the quietest.

So would the Tanabe Touring Medallion be to restrictive on the setup? its a 80mm pipe with 115mm tip and looks like there is only i silencer. Or would i be better to risk the:

Tanabe Ultra Medalion which is 90mm pipe 115mm tip with one rear silencer and a removalable baffle.

Help!!!!! Has anyone got one of these?

Its just my new neighbours dont seem overly impressed with the noise of the car as it is let alone if i fit a really loud exhaust.

Medallion Touring - 92Db

Blitz NUR RX - 92Db

http://www.blitz-uk.co.uk/images/products/variantimages/hires/Nur-RX-Universal_1.jpg

GReddy Ti-R (Titanium) - 91Db

Not actual pic of the Ti-R as it has a second silencer on the mid pipe. I use one of these on my own car as it is one of the very few road legal exhausts from Japan.

http://www.trust-power.com/01exhaust/images/petir01.jpg

What egt's and boost are you guys running? So you think any of the above would be ok Nic? Also price wise whats the difference? Do you the Ultra would be over the top?

The Tanabe Touring medallion is only available from Tanabe USA.

The Blitz would be around £430 delivered, the GReddy would be over £800 delivered

1.4bar and upto approx 850egt at a guess.

What exhaust have you got wez?

Yes similar, EGT's will depend more on the mapping rather than restrictiveness of the exhaust though I would have thought.

Yeah im sure they would be ok compared to my current one which is 3 siliencer and 2.5" pipe work oww man its heaven! (im not into loud exhausts :) )

What exhaust have you got wez?

Hayward & Scott custom downpipe and silenced screamer with Veilside Ti.

oww man its heaven! (im not into loud exhausts :) )

My current setup is one of the loudest I have heard, I am in the process of having it all quietened down with mid silencers and routing the wastegate back into the exhaust.

Yes similar, EGT's will depend more on the mapping rather than restrictiveness of the exhaust though I would have thought.

Restrictive exhausts and Smaller AR housing always produce alot hotter EGT's.

On a BPU TT with a 1ST Cat in place you have to run around 11:1 in order to just keep the EGT's at a safe level.

Ryan

On a BPU TT with a Cat in place you have to run around 11:1 in order to just keep the EGT's at a safe level.

Ryan

Do you have any recommendations as to make with a sport cat to keep Mr MOT happy and EGT's safe Ryan ?

On a BPU TT with a Cat in place you have to run around 11:1 in order to just keep the EGT's at a safe level.

Ryan

Right this is about to go waaaay off topic so I apologise.

That comment has confused me Ryan. perhaps you can explain a little further. My car is BPU TT with the 2nd cat still in place. As I understand it though there isn't a lot required to turn a TT BPU, and this may be ignorance on my behalf.

Decat, Exhaust, plugs, fcd - I haven't a boost controller.

So effectively by simply removing a Cat I have to run lower AFR to keep the EGT down? you seem to be implying that If I remove the 2nd the AFR will go back to normal. Sorry for my ignorance.

Mike

I presume you would map around these though to keep EGT's down? Would you say a 90mm compared to a 80mm exhaust would make much of a difference?

Yes if there are issues with high EGT's and the timing being correct you need to richen up the mixture to keep it safe.

3" is fine for any car under 700bhp IMHO but 2.5 system do start to become a restriction as i found on Rob's car over 500bhp

Mike

I forgot to put *1st* in my reply. Look Again :)

I was talking about actually mapping a BPU TT. I found that with the 1st cat in place you have to keep the AFR fairly rich to keep the EGT's down as the restriction which it causes is huge with regards flow and being very close to the turbo's it makes the EGT's Sky rocket.

On a stock ecu though you will be fine as they run around 10:1 at the top end anyway but i would not suggest running 1.2bar with the 1st cat in place.

Right back to work

Ryan

Right this is about to go waaaay off topic so I apologise.

That comment has confused me Ryan. perhaps you can explain a little further. My car is BPU TT with the 2nd cat still in place. As I understand it though there isn't a lot required to turn a TT BPU, and this may be ignorance on my behalf.

Decat, Exhaust, plugs, fcd - I haven't a boost controller.

So effectively by simply removing a Cat I have to run lower AFR to keep the EGT down? you seem to be implying that If I remove the 2nd the AFR will go back to normal. Sorry for my ignorance.

Mike

Mike

I forgot to put *1st* in my reply. Look Again :)

I was talking about actually mapping a BPU TT. I found that with the 1st cat in place you have to keep the AFR fairly rich to keep the EGT's down as the restriction which it causes is huge with regards flow and being very close to the turbo's it makes the EGT's Sky rocket.

I cant get my head round this, or maybe im being silly....so what the score with a full stock exhaust system in place then surely thats even more restictive but cant be as bad as you mentioned re high tempratures otherwise it wouldn't have left the factory like it?? do you mean a first cat in place and a boost controller to up it to 1.2bar, in which case I see what you mean about extra heat being generated?

Yes if there are issues with high EGT's and the timing being correct you need to richen up the mixture to keep it safe.

3" is fine for any car under 700bhp IMHO but 2.5 system do start to become a restriction as i found on Rob's car over 500bhp

Do you think the Tanabe Touring Medallion 80mm/115mm would be ok on my setup or would you go for the Tanabe Ultra Medalion 90mm/115mm to be on the safe side?

Do Tanabe do the Medallion Touring for the R33 Skylines Nic? Ta!

Hi Chris what’s your opinion on the Tanabe exhausts?