The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rad hose popped off!

cheekymonkey

After a spirited drive just now, I notice a small amount of smoke/vapour coming out of the bonnet, I open it up and there's a bit of coolant around the radiator area. Switch the engine off and it hisses like a very large hissing thing, steam spewing everywhere from the top rad pipe.

It calms down and I reckon I've lost less than half a litre of coolant.

Peak water temperature during my run was 94 degrees, temperature about 5 mins after turning the engine off was 110 degrees.

Do you guys reckon I'm safe to clean up, top up and tighten hoses?

CIMG0398.JPG

CIMG0399.JPG

I'd remove the hose, clean up any residue where it seals onto the radiator, put the hose back on making sure it is tight and refill the coolant.

Perhaps also replace the rad cap if it old and make sure where it seals to the rad is clean.

Leave it ticking over for a while to bring the temps up and see if it is leaking anywhere.

Hopefully it was just the connection for the pipe that was loose and causing a pressure drop in the cooling system making the coolant boil over and blow the pipe off.

Thanks for looking - the flats seem to be cosmetic and CW advises I need a new rad. Oh well :D

Anyone have any thoughts about which rad to go for? BPU at the moment with future mods one day including going single.

Was hoping they wouldn't be, but pretty knew they were. :(

Seen some Fluidyne's on here recently. Will have a shufty mate. :)

Anyone have any thoughts about which rad to go for? BPU at the moment with future mods one day including going single.

The best radiator available for the Supra IMO is the Power Enterprise Double row, not the cheapest, but much better than my old Fluidyne.

Hey all

Just taken a look and found my problem (see attached pics)

Question is, can that be fixed with a part or is this the Supra Deity's way of making me uprate my whole rad?

Thats where mine broke off. I turned an aluminium tube that was a perfect fit and locked into the rad. Also glued in with Araldite.

Been on there about 8 months and no leaks or drips at all. Saved buying a new rad. ;)

If your interested I could send you the drawing of the part or make one up for you. :)

If your interested I could send you the drawing of the part or make one up for you. :)

Hey mate that's much appreciate, shows the club spirit is alive and well :D

However I will have another look today, and may end up getting a new rad anyway as mine is quite tired. My water temps at SRR were quite high during the mapping session so the upgrade was on the cars already :)

Cheers

james

Thats where mine broke off. I turned an aluminium tube that was a perfect fit and locked into the rad. Also glued in with Araldite.

Been on there about 8 months and no leaks or drips at all. Saved buying a new rad. ;)

Nice of you Mark. Good man.:)

Have just ordered a new Rad. It's from CW and it's a brand new unit that uses the stock plastic end caps (sorry no Bling:)) with an updated alloy core that's more efficient than stock, and is also cheaper, as a bonus!

Just found those. :D Was about to post the link. :)

Nice choice.

Hey all just a quick one. I've secured the hose as best I can, and I've topped up the rad, it took about 1.5litres and put another 500ml or so in the expansion tank.

I then ran the engine until it got to just over 80 degrees, no visibile leaks.

How do I bleed the system?

PS I am not going to be driving hard until I get the new rad, but the top hose does seem pretty secure at present :)