The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Exhaust wrap.

kieren1234

I have the manifold covered in black exhaust heat wrap that i purchased off ebay. When it came it was nothing like i imagined the heat wrap to be, it was a sort of fluffy and was like fibreglass that you get in your attic.

I wrapped the manifold and when starting the car, after a minute or so the manifold smokes quite alot and really smells of a horrible burning smell.

Is this normal or should i replace the exhaust wrap with something a little more well known...........??

Many thanks.

No instructions came with it, i did read someone about wetting it first but the general consensus was that it didnt really matter and people just do it without wetting it.

Well if yours is a fibreglass material it sounds to me like you should have... especially if it's catching on fire ;)

The main reason that the material would be wrapped when wet is to make it more plyable, the cloth like material when dry isn't very plyable when trying to wrap around a curved pipe.

The fibreglass material you have may have a glue solution within it that is smaoking when hot.

Is the fibreglass bonded to another material in some way?

If it has been designed as an heat wrap all materials within the product should have a temperature rating. As you would appriciate there is no point in the glue burning away and the 2 materials seperating if this use of this product required it to be used whole.

The exhaust wrap I used sounds like a different material, but yes it smoked like a b*stard when it got hot the first time, proper garage-filler! Bit of smoke a couple more times, and then just the ghastly smell for a while after that. So it's normal for the wrap I used, can't guarantee it's the same for your strange material though :)

I had to wrap my downpipe three times by the way - first two times dry and it kept going baggy and sliding down, 3rd time wet and it's stayed put. So I'd recommend wet for that plus the fact it keeps the particulates down while you are doing it.

-Ian

The heat wrap I use looks like slighly glossy fabric, the colour of fiberglass. I apply it dry. The last sytem I wrappped was our RB25 system. On start up there was a minimal odour as the pipes heated up, less than the odour from a brand new exhaust system.

The application of a high temperature paint to the wrapped pipe/s, gives additonal protecton to the tape against minor knocks and abrasions as well as aditional insulation.

On engine bay surfaces, particularly passenger footwell (Turbo side in the RB) I use foil faced adhesive backed tape/sheets.

On engine bay surfaces, particularly passenger footwell (Turbo side in the RB) I use foil faced adhesive backed tape/sheets.

I used some of that on the brake fluid reservoir and the windscreen washer hoses on the underside of the bonnet but the heat delaminated the glue from the foil :complain: So the glue stayed stuck and the reflecty bit came off, nice mess to clear up.

I assume it's because I used cheapo foil tape :)

I used some exhaust wrap on the brake lines on the bulkhead near the downpipe as well. Looks fugly but I think it helps stop the turbo from cooking the brakes :)

-Ian

Hi all, just a quick update, left the car running for half an hour and the smoke was absolutely rediculous. Could not see a thing. So i waited for it all to cool down and stripped everything off. Turns out the exhaust wrap has been severely burning by the looks of it so i have cut it all off and may get some reputable exhaust wrap next time. Also , all the black (dye) had come off and was now white!!!!

Cheap tack - lesson learned.