The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wheel refurb: how to remove silicon so i can remove bolts!?

Sean1933

I am i the process of trying to refurb my 3 piece split rims...along with a million other things! Basically i have removed the nuts on the back of the securing bolts (29 of them!) but now obviously need to remove the bolts from the wheels. A few of these came out when i took the nuts off (front of wheel shows bolt heads, multi-point 8mm. Bolts at the rear of the rim are a normal 10mm) but the rest are stuck in their really tight.

I have tried to hit them out from behing with a rubber mallet, no good. Also tried to undo them from the front but they are in their so tight and would probably thread the head off which would not be good as i dont have any spare nuts.

Basically when the nuts were put through the wheel a glob of sealant was put in there to seal it. Is there anything i can spray on it that would degrade the silicon so i can just pull the bolts out!?

P170308_191.JPG

P170308_1911.JPG

I am not planning on spliting the 2 cup parts of the rim, just the centre section so i can spray that up and polish the lip.

However if i was splitting the cups then i would reseal with an unbroken bead of strong silicon (halfrauds do it) all the way around the middle part of the bigger cup, then push the 2 together and do up the studs unilaterally to get an even seal.

I think there was a vid around somewhere by some american co that explained it quite well.

ok cheers mate didnt think it would be that simple, thought there would be a rubber gasket or something and glue:d might give it a go in the near future then, sandblasting would be ok for the inner section wont it?, its ally that has crusted over and the paint flaked off:rolleyes:

The silicon acts like a gasket thats why you have to make sure its a constant bead, same sort of size as what you would put on a toothbrush if you get what i mean.

Sandblasting would be fine mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Im still having problems with this. I had a look at polycell remover and talked to my partner about this (works at B&Q) and it seems it wont work due to the way the polycell remover works...it doenst actually break it down. Not to mention i would need probably £50 work of the stuff given all the bolts i have to do!

Not to mention on further inspection the sealint doent look like silicon as to the fact that its not malleable. When you scratch at it it almost turns to a powder sort of like conrete!

I tried heating with a heat gun but it didnt work...i didnt think it would as the wheels would get pretty hot during operation!

I was thinking of using something like nitromorse but this would probably eat away at the actual wheels...

HELP!!!

• 2 months later...