The mkiv Supra Owners Club

best type of bov

thesword22

hi guys

im just trying t o see what is the best type of bov to get and where from.

any help much appreciated cheers guys

For normal use without insane bhps/air flow, I think its just up to personal taste. Stock will be nice if you don't want a lot of sound, but that can easily get a bit worn by the years which results in compressor surge (the fluttering sound)

In the twelve odd years I have worked on MKIV TT's I have found ONE faulty stock BOV. So they are pretty good. I can't begin to count the number of faulty bling ones I have had to address though. It's like people say Parcel Force is a joke, the wife told me her company sent 50,000 + packages by Parcel Force last year. Of those ONE went missing without trace, and about 50 were seriously delayed, but turned up within a month. I think that's a pretty good record for a company that gets some stick (Parcel Force, not the wife's company...).

Likewise, for an item that people seem hell bent on changing, the stock BOV is an excellent piece of kit. I have never had to change a Bosch OE BOV either, they are superb, and can be found on most older Saab turbos and Cossie Sierras, for next to nothing.

The BOV's on my own turbo engines are 110% reliable as I never use one ;)

In the twelve odd years I have worked on MKIV TT's I have found ONE faulty stock BOV. So they are pretty good. I can't begin to count the number of faulty bling ones I have had to address though. It's like people say Parcel Force is a joke, the wife told me her company sent 50,000 + packages by Parcel Force last year. Of those ONE went missing without trace, and about 50 were seriously delayed, but turned up within a month. I think that's a pretty good record for a company that gets some stick (Parcel Force, not the wife's company...).

Likewise, for an item that people seem hell bent on changing, the stock BOV is an excellent piece of kit. I have never had to change a Bosch OE BOV either, they are superb, and can be found on most older Saab turbos and Cossie Sierras, for next to nothing.

my Bosch BOV on the integrale shattered and sounded like an owl hooting :)

I had one ;) When changed at the lokal dealership to another stock one then there was "flutter no more".

i think its abit of every thing realy, the valve is designed to be used with high and low boost, the actual valve that opens to dump the air is in 2 parts ie 2 valves one in side the other, its operated on very light pressure changes to 'dump' and the more boost you run the harder the valve stayes shut ( most other valves use a spring to hold the boost back and need a large change in pressure to make them dump)

imo they look good and just-about fit in the place of the stock valve

they have inserts in the end, i think 3 colours, and all give different sounds and the preset tension of the valve can be changed alowing the sound to be tuned:)