The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Yet another Newbie

Guest Jonty Lewis

Guest Jonty Lewis

Hi All,

I have just joined having used the site prior to the purchase of my "grey" TT Supra. It is great to again get in a car with a hugh smile each time. I haven't had this much cheek ache since my Triumph Spitfire days of yore.

I am endeavouring to identify which Supra I have. I consulted the guide on the site yesterday but there are various contradictions. I will get under the bonnet to look at the chassis plate as soon as it stops raining!

Any help with the following would be appreciated:-

1, I have the 4 speed auto and in front of the gear selector there is a red botton with some Japanese script underneath. Any ideas? I haven't pressed it in case my passenger suddenly disappears. Also there is a black button to the left of the selector with the letters MANU inscribed on it. Does this mean I have the Tiptronic box?

2, Where is the fuse box? The rear demist doesn't appear to be working and I want to start with basics before contemplating more expensive options.

3, Assuming I can identify the model are there any manuals out there to be obtained (preferably not in Japanese)?

And finally are there any meets near Ramsgate, Kent?

Yours,

Jonty

1, I have the 4 speed auto and in front of the gear selector there is a red botton with some Japanese script underneath. Any ideas? I haven't pressed it in case my passenger suddenly disappears. Also there is a black button to the left of the selector with the letters MANU inscribed on it. Does this mean I have the Tiptronic box?

Woohoo!! :D

I have the 4 speed auto and in front of the gear selector there is a red botton with some Japanese script underneath. Any ideas? I haven't pressed it in case my passenger suddenly disappears. Also there is a black button to the left of the selector with the letters MANU inscribed on it. Does this mean I have the Tiptronic box?

The manu button is for manual mode, Its not strictly manual, its just set the maximum gear the car will go into, so if your on the limit it will shift up.

No, triptronic you havent, if you did, there would be shifters on the steering wheel

The red button, well, we will play on that for a bit longer :D

3, Assuming I can identify the model are there any manuals out there to be obtained (preferably not in Japanese)?

They are indeed available. A chap on here called "CJ" sells them but only in batches. Alot of people do have them already tho. MIght be worth putting up a "wanted" add in the classified section

Red button, as explained by Tdr:

the red button is Toyota's version of WEP (War Emergency Power). During my testing days working on the mkivsupra development team for Toyota we found that the non turbo and auto cars especially were a tad underpowered compared with the rivals of the day - those pesky skyline's, GTO's and Fairlady Z's. So we figured we'd include an extra power mode which is accessed through pressing the red button when you need just that little bit more power to win a race or to overtake.

The jap squiggles around the red button say "Extra Power Mode" and once pushed, the ECU maps are switched to more aggressive settings which release around 30bhp extra.

Just be careful choosing your moment when you push it as there have been reports of autos especially randomly spinning out and hitting solid objects through no apparent fault of the driver, usually coinciding with winter months and / or diesel spills

Hi & welcome!!

You'll find that the red button question is almost guaranteed the first question that a newbie with an auto will ask :)

I'll let you into a secret.... it releases the gear lever from park position without having to put the key in. Not very exciting but it does get a lot of members here into a bit of a frenzy (the question... not the button itself LOL).

Cheers

Steve

Hi & welcome!!

You'll find that the red button question is almost guaranteed the first question that a newbie with an auto will ask :)

I'll let you into a secret.... it releases the gear lever from park position without having to put the key in. Not very exciting but it does get a lot of members here into a bit of a frenzy (the question... not the button itself LOL).

Cheers

Steve

i already pm'ed him the right answer ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest yadtrebor

Hi,on my girls celica auto the red button is a safety overide so you can move the stick up and down without having to put your foot on the brake.i presume its the same for the supra,but it might also be an ejector seat.

I though the red button was a locking mode thing when my car was totally dead & i had to move the car and gears were stuck( auto) the recovery guy pressed the red button with Jap writeing on it to release the gear and place in to Nuetral

So is it actually a button thats for increasing power or just a locking button for auto gear box also if it is for power does it only work when car is on move or can it be switched on before you take off

I though the red button was a locking mode thing when my car was totally dead & i had to move the car and gears were stuck( auto) the recovery guy pressed the red button with Jap writeing on it to release the gear and place in to Nuetral

So is it actually a button thats for increasing power or just a locking button for auto gear box also if it is for power does it only work when car is on move or can it be switched on before you take off

welcome Jonty! Good banter on here, don't you think?! :D