The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supraball 2008 -- Quest to search for the best driving roads in the World!

Wayney

How many nights  

24 members have voted

1. 1. How many nights

• 3 Days, Leave Friday - Sunday
    • 5 Days, Leave Thursday - Monday
    • 7 Days, Leave Saturday - Saturday

Right ladies and gents of MKIVsupra

Over a couple of drinks tonight, I have decided, I’m gonna plan a road trip to the Europe this summer, and wanted to invite you mad lot to join me. Not wanting to step on any ones toes, so first and foremost, this will not clash with Dragonball 08, and is completely separate.

Some of you may have seen that episode of Topgear when they went in search of the best driving roads in world. Well this trip will be designed from the ground up to take into account these roads. The route is the key selling point of this trip, and only the best roads would do, there for I have some of the best brains in the business planning the route. We are purely limited to distance, by how many days be go away for.

The trip will be a proper driving holiday. I did a trip to the South of France last summer and did a write up, and judging by the comments, I thought it only fair to plan another one for you guys.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=125163

Rough out line of the trip

1) The whole trip will include twisty, challenging A & B Roads, as opposed to boring, boring, boring toll motorway miles.

2) A Track Day will be organised, giving you a change to give it the beans on a track for an entire day.

3) Also wanted to include a night on the tiles or some of you may perfer to relax and enjoy the hotel facilities, or a quiet dinner, the choice is yours, but it'll give every one the change to have a good night off. Of course I will be choosing a busy vibrant town, not some sleepy French vine yard.

4) Depending on budgets, but one night I wanted to stay in a French Chateau, a proper 5 * job, with all facilities, pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzie, the works!! So the ladies can be pampered while the gents can laze around by the pool. With a few contacts, this should not be expensive :D

5) There will also be the option to pop into a few vine yards along the way for Wine or Champagne tasting session, or wot some may call a free piss up.

This trip is very much still in the early planning stages, no concrete dates have been confirmed.

I am now open to suggestion, and would welcome some feed back from you, firstly starting with how long your are able to go away for?

1) Leave Fri come bak Sunday (3 days)

2) Leave Thursday come bak Monday (5 days)

3) Leave Saturday and come back Friday/Saturday (7 days)

Obviously the longer the trip, the further we can explore. Again it all comes down to cost, time and money. :D

interesting plan

The first road shown on Top Gear by the way is not really a driver's road (col de tourini - rally stage). There are a few people on pistonheads forums who have done the top gear routes already, and that particular one is only a slow crawl of a road.

The rest however are being said to be spectacular !

But the whole swiss/austrian/german alpine border area is littered with similar roads. It should make for a great trip.

Im intersted Wayne, just had a read through the old thread. I notice you said it cost about £450 for 1500 miles. I was just wondering how much overall did the trip cost around. Also was it 5 days you went for last time. And what time of year are you thinking of going?

Interested in this also depending on date & cost or I could just be your passenger & just eat & sleep again:d

If you FAT b@stard promise you will lose weight until then I might be up for it :D

anyway, nice idea fat boy.

You're put under the thumb & not allowed on the forum which I was disappointed about but with that sentence you're back in my good books!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds great and im very interested, ive looked at just driving straight to the Stelvio Pass and done some approx figures.

1740 miles from B'ham - Stelvio - B'ham + a few play miles so say 2000 miles in total at 20 mpg will approx cost £450 in fuel :(

Right guys, this is still in the early planning stages, if we are to get to the Stelvio Pass, it will have to be a 5 days 4 nit job, as driving 1800 miles in 3 days is madness. This is not TWAT BALL! Where they race across country after country! The whole point of this journey is to drive on the best roads.

Approx figures

£100 For Euro Tunnel Crossing

£500 Petrol

£100 Tolls

£50 a night * 4 = £200 (Hotel)

Food + booze = £300 (5 days and piss up one nit)

Roughtly your looking at £1200 as a rough guide. This is not including a track day or staying in a 5* chateau. As I am sure most of you are aware the fuel bill is the huge chunk. So with that out of the equation, your looking at £700 as a rough guide.

The last trip I did to the Gauge, I spent £550 on travel and accomodation, + £450 on petrol + tolls £100 + Food & booze £200 = £1,300.

So as a rough guide a budget of £1,500 would be enough for a 1,800 miles road trip. I am also looking into the prospect of bringing along a chase car, with a mechanic and all the necessary tools, just incase, we may need to call on some ones services incase some thing pops off or falls apart. :-)

Right then what I need a provisional list of names with a budget of £1,500, obviously dates pending. Some time in May/June

1) Wayney + 1 (Prob P111ddy as his Crank Pulley would prob be nackered like last yr)

2) Lui + 1

Wayney

Should the tools be tolls?

I'm up for this if dates are right the :) i can't make the dates for FB5K trip or i'd be doing that after seeing you pics last time

Yeer mate, sorry it was supposed to be tolls. The FB5K which I done last year is a lot more pricey then this trip. To do a 4 nite trip away, excluding petrol, food and tools only accomodation and travel.

= £750 One person for 4 nights

= £900 for 2 sharing one car for 4 nights.

Plus u got petrol, tolls, food.

I did mention on the FB5K forum that it was pointless to stay in 4* hotels every night, as you cant make good use of the facilities. Its literlly a case of arrive dinner, chill and bed, coz you've been on the road for 8 hrs. The FB5k, is ok, but I found they did cram in too much in for each day, there was not enough time to stop and take photos, the ones I took, was when we stopped brifely for like a couple of mins. There was far better views, but we did not stop. :(

Get you point with the 4* accomadation also it would be nice not to do a tour at break neck speeds, the chance to stop and take pics sounds good :)

Any ideas of possible dates that this could take place?

Mate regarding dates, I'm free any weekend,

how does Thus 19th- Monday 23 June sound?

Wkends I cant do wkend 14th -15th June (Lemans)

Wkend of 24th-25th May (Away in Paris that weekend).

What about every one else, is that weekend any good?

The FB5K which I done last year is a lot more pricey then this trip. To do a 4 nite trip away, excluding petrol, food and tools only accomodation and travel.

= £750 One person for 4 nights

= £900 for 2 sharing one car for 4 nights.

Wayne, is this to quote the FB5k figure or your own proposed price? If it's the latter then I don't think it's right to say their trip was 'a lot more pricey'.

sounds good but *4 when all your doing is arriving eating and sleeping is a bit of a waste. maybe a couple of nights in a 4* somewhere and the rest in travel lodge/B+B kinda places to keep the cost down :p. Would love to come but 750 + petrol for 4 nights is a bit prohibative. Ive just booked a 10 day holiday to florida for less than that :p and id rather go there again than face the cheese eating surrender monkeys for 4 days :p

Wayne, is this to quote the FB5k figure or your own proposed price? If it's the latter then I don't think it's right to say their trip was 'a lot more pricey'.

Ben

the email I got through this week, for the Milau trip 08, for 4 night, 5day trip like the one I am planning.

1 person 1 Car £699

2 People 1 Car £898

2 Person 2 Cars £1,050

Please bear in mind you have to add

1) Petrol Cost

2) Toll Roads

3) Food + Drink

4) European Travel & Break Down Insurance

I am not organising this trip to make money, just to share the experiences and fun I had with you lot. I feel there are areas where we can cut money like the hotel dept, one night we stayed in a 4* chateau which cost £130 for one night, (bed and breaksfast). Which I must say was cheeper than the origonal price of £180 per room per night.

These road trips aint cheap, the figures I have thrown in the air are the basic guide line budgets.

If you want to get any where near the alps, a 5day drive is min.

[/i]

Not trying to pee on your bonfire mate. Just honestly questioning if that's an achievable figure as there was a lot of negotiation with the hoteliers to get the price down.

On the other side of that coin, you may have to consider limiting the number of cars for logistic reasons... some of the best priced hotels just can't handle more than 20.

Do also check on indemnity insurance too, and its safe enough to simply apply the usual 'bunch of mates heading the same direction' clause to the trip. God forbid should something terrible happen on the way. You know how dangerous the roads can be.