The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Excellent site.

Guest Ed Boreham

Guest Ed Boreham

Hello, have to say very impressed with the site. I've already found the answers to alot of questions that i had.

Just makes me want one alot more, have to get saving those pennies.

Ed

Guest Ed Boreham

Cheers guys for the welcome.

I smashed the shit out of my kwak zx7r just before xmas and had a moment of clarity realising that it was probally time to stop with the bikes for a bit, stacking into the back of a motor at about 30 fecking hurts.

Just got to finish putting it back together, sell it (really don't want to), convince the bank manager that it really is a good idea to to extend my overdraft and then hopefully find a sweet N/A manual.

(Yes would love a TT but don't think the bank manager is that friendly).

Anyway thanks for the welcome again, sure i'll be asking some stupid obvious questions in the future, so till then.

Ed.

(Yes would love a TT but don't think the bank manager is that friendly).

You may find that if you budget for a N/A then hold out a little longer whilst saving for just a few months more, then a TT will be a reality for you. The way TT prices, infact Supra's in general you could get a decent TT for 6.5k.

Insurance for a N/A and TT are virtually similar, running costs are far greater though on a TT.

Best to have money spare even when you buy one as they are not cheap to run/maintain.

They are? How so?

Apart from rear tyres and speeding tickets they're about the same, aren't they?

I agree Jake. It's only when you start modifying the TT that costs can easily ramp up (or of course if you buy a sh*tter). The problem is that modding them is very tempting due to the easy power gains.

However, as Jamesmark says, it's best to hold out for a TT if you're likely to have a need for decent power.

They are? How so?

Apart from rear tyres and speeding tickets they're about the same, aren't they?

So fuel is 100% the same? The insurance is 100% the same? (insurance is grey area with some stupid firms) The garage that may be employed to service it/fix it will be 100% the same whether it is a TT or a N/A?

Also on the other side, modding a TT in the long run is dearer than modding a N/A.

So fuel is 100% the same? The insurance is 100% the same? (insurance is grey area with some stupid firms) The garage that may be employed to service it/fix it will be 100% the same whether it is a TT or a N/A?

Also on the other side, modding a TT in the long run is dearer than modding a N/A.

Comparing stock for stock:

From the NA owners I know fuel is very similar when compared to the TT, they are within a few mpg of each other in most conditions. The exception is if the TT is driven extremely hard, in which case mpg will obviously plummet.

Insurance is as you say a grey area. On almost all accounts the NA costs the same as the TT to insure, unless it's a UK TT which costs bugger all.

Servicing is the same cost.

On the modding front I must disagree. If you have defined power goals the NA will cost an incredible amount more to get the same as the TT. Most NA owners don't spend much modding simply because there's no point, no real gains to be made. That’s why many either give up and sell, or sell and buy a TT (or some which are content with the power and stick with the NA. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the NA, but potential purchases should be aware that it cannot be modded in a cost effective way to deliver decent horsepower.

It's one reason why I'd recommend all new purchasers to evaluate their future requirements for the car before choosing either an NA or TT.

Welcome!!:)

As stated above the costs of running are very similar but I went NA as I was terrified by some of the bills I had heard of after turbo failure etc. I don't feel that my NA is that quick but it looks great and that's all that matters to me.

There is the odd time where I would like more power but for me those moments v's the extra cash sopent on a TT it wasn't worth the extra money. If power is your thing then don't go NA as you'll soon regret it. If you are short of cash and couldn't afford to cough up a couple of grand if the worst happens then go NA.

Everyone to their own and all that!!

H.