The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Headlights

charlton

Thanks to suprattgaz I have new clear headlight lenses which I am fitting today, I have just taken the lights out now and have them by a hot oven to take apart the lenses (not in as they are too big)

No doubt I will be posting again in a few mins when something else goes wrong :D

Pics to follow soon - hopefully!

Patience is needed when getting the lense off and I found it easier to use a heat gun which I had to go out and buy - and dont concentrate on one area too much or the wrong stuff will melt (oops :rolleyes: I hope it fits back on ok)

I am just about ready to paint the inserts but have read on further in the instructions and read a bit I didn't read before - cut the original lense. The best thing to use would be a Dremmel drill thing but I dont have one :( Looks like I need to go out and buy one of those as well

progress so far

DSC03221.JPG

i also had to go and buy a dremmel! :rolleyes:

I have just convinced my mum that she needs one so hopefully she will buy one tonight :D

@ Charlton what paint did you use and did you do any prep like primer etc, i just used black matt from halfrauds & cleaned n prepped the surface, mine did fit in the oven 8 mins low heat came apart easily enough. Goodluck

I have just finished priming them now with Halfords plastic grey primer and I will then be painting them with Plasti-Kote BBQ paint (also from Halfords) - I read someone else used that and it looked quite good - also it does not need to be baked/cured.

When you done yours and you cut the lense around the black line, you cut it as if you were looking thru it rather than from the side dont you? if that makes sense?

I have just convinced my mum that she needs one so hopefully she will buy one tonight :D

I have just finished priming them now with Halfords plastic grey primer and I will then be painting them with Plasti-Kote BBQ paint (also from Halfords) - I read someone else used that and it looked quite good - also it does not need to be baked/cured.

When you done yours and you cut the lense around the black line, you cut it as if you were looking thru it rather than from the side dont you? if that makes sense?

Yes

Patience is needed when getting the lense off and I found it easier to use a heat gun which I had to go out and buy - and dont concentrate on one area too much or the wrong stuff will melt (oops :rolleyes: I hope it fits back on ok)

I am just about ready to paint the inserts but have read on further in the instructions and read a bit I didn't read before - cut the original lense. The best thing to use would be a Dremmel drill thing but I dont have one :( Looks like I need to go out and buy one of those as well

progress so far

[ATTACH]69479[/ATTACH]

Oh guys - I did say in the original thread please read the fitting instructions before purchasing!:(:p

@ suprattgaz - when you sprayed the black around the outside of the lenses to finish them off did you try spraying the inside first? If so what did it look like? I'm just thinking that the paint might chip easier on plastic if you spray the outisde.

I sprayed the outside as you have to fill and cover the screw heads. It looks fine, i cannot see a single chip etc yet and they have been on for ages now. I did use a chip resistant paint, not your standard car paint. i would say it is a waste of time spraying the inner lip of the lens, apart from anything you will not know the lines to paint up to until they are fitted anyway ;)