The mkiv Supra Owners Club

lets talk screamer pipes

gaz1

ok i still after many years am not sure what they are, where they go, and are they included in turbo kits:rolleyes: anyone have an idea, just trying to work out if i have one for my new turbo system, and if i need one

Included with the BL kit mate evacuates air outta the wastegate whilst on boost hope that makes sense not too good at explaining things

i had it in my head that it is a hard pipe that slides into the downpipe, or am i just being silly:rolleyes:

It vents from the wastegate while on boost, you can have it conected back into the downpipe if you want to keep the noise down for track days etc, i think some of the HKS hits come like this.

i had it in my head that it is a hard pipe that slides into the downpipe, or am i just being silly:rolleyes:

No your not being silly.

Some people do recirculate the screamer pipe back into the exhaust/downpipe. It is basibally a really thin exhaust that carries exhaust gasses away from the opening of the wastegate when it is open.

Like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/turbocharger-turbo-40-mm-wastegate-with-dump-tube_W0QQitemZ110214009150QQihZ001QQcategoryZ72205QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

In laymans terms, when the engine is offboost, or the turbo is spooling, then the wastegate will be shut and the exhaust gas will be flowing through the turbo and into the exhaust.

As the turbo get's up to speed, and you achieve enough boost to open the wastegate, then the exhaust flow no-longer flows through the turbo (or rather the amount of exhaust flow through the turbo is reduced by bleeding some of it off through the wastegate). As the exhaust gas going through the wastegate needs to go somewhere, there's one of 2 things you can do.

1. Have a screamer pipe. It's a pipe attached to the wastegate on one end, and usually open ended on the other, which just kinda points the exhaust gas going through the wastegate somewhere under the engine where its' less likely to melt something. As the name suggests, a screamer pipe is going to be LOUD, as you've basically not got any silencer, or any real exhaust at all to speak of. Imagine running your car with no manifold. It's nearly as loud as that.

2. The other option is to re-route the exhaust gas coming out of the wastegate back into the exhaust. This up-side of this is it's less likely to cause melting problems, but it's significantly more difficult to set-up. It's also quieter, which some see as a good thing, and some see as bad.