The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Beware before you remove your side repeaters

Tee from China

As I have notice many members have changed wings or bumpers and thus deleting the side repeaters which ARE a legal requirement for the MOT test and I think that this is important and worth pointing out so that you don't get an MOT failure! You may have been lucky with your MOT's up till now but sooner or later you may fall fowl and fail the test! Here is what the MOT Testers Manual states:-

MOT Regs Section 1.5 Lighting Motor Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986

These must be fitted with one side repeater indicator on each side. Instead of a separate lamp, the side repeater might be part of the front direction indicator if it includes a wraparound lens.

Acceptable wraparound lens marking. Lamps incorporating a side repeater are marked either with an 'E' mark in a circle or an 'e' mark in a rectangle above which is a number 5. Some vehicles are fitted with a wraparound lens with no European approval markings. These can be tested by standing approximately 1000mm to the side of the vehicles rear bumper with indicator on. If amber light can be seen coming through the front lens (not a reflection) this is acceptable.:rolleyes:

How do you run the wires to them?

I have a facelift, so I tap into the wires that go to the side repeaters (if I still had them). I put some bullet connectors on there so I can plug in my temporary repeaters, tape the wire up out of the way and then just pull them out after the MOT.

I have a facelift, so I tap into the wires that go to the side repeaters (if I still had them). I put some bullet connectors on there so I can plug in my temporary repeaters, tape the wire up out of the way and then just pull them out after the MOT.

Thanks, just in case I get pulled at the next MOT.:)

There is a rule about the angle of visibility that the indicator should be visible from, which I have to admit I whole heartedly agree with. It annoys the crap out of me when people don't indicate on roundabouts or if you can't see their indicators.

I wonder if you were in an accident and the other party was to say it was caused because they couldn't see your indicators what the outcome would be?

That's confusing, so it's saying it's got to be part of the Front Indicator light and be seen from the side.

It's not saying it has to be - but if it is it must be visible from the reference point quoted which on a Supra it is not as on early models the lens is recessed in the bumper and the late facelift have the sidelamp on the outside thus blocking the indicator, which is why repeaters were fitted by Toyota!

Your in the middle lane on the motorway in your sup. There is someone in the fast lane in your blind spot. You look and indicate and move out... he cant see your side indicator (because you dont have one) and he is too far forwars to see your rear one, your front isnt visable because its in the bumper... You tag his left front with your right rear...

I can only imagine your view out of the windscreen goes something like this. Barrior - Motorway - Barrior - Motorway- Barrior... :stretch:

and your car looks something similar to this

http://www.baynews9.com/images/news/2007/8/27/lgbollea1.jpg

... Or you might get lucky

There is a rule about the angle of visibility that the indicator should be visible from, which I have to admit I whole heartedly agree with. It annoys the crap out of me when people don't indicate on roundabouts or if you can't see their indicators.

I wonder if you were in an accident and the other party was to say it was caused because they couldn't see your indicators what the outcome would be?

Totally agree Pete, I hate people not indicating at round abouts. Its frustrating when they just take the 1st exit and dangerous if they carry on.

Your in the middle lane on the motorway in your sup. There is someone in the fast lane in your blind spot. You look and indicate and move out... he cant see your side indicator (because you dont have one) and he is too far forwars to see your rear one, your front isnt visable because its in the bumper... You tag his left front with your right rear...

I can only imagine your view out of the windscreen goes something like this. Barrior - Motorway - Barrior - Motorway- Barrior... :stretch:

and your car looks something similar to this

http://www.baynews9.com/images/news/2007/8/27/lgbollea1.jpg

... Or you might get lucky

....or you might be aware of what's around you on the road. All the time.:)

Contrary to popular beleif, cars (or bikes for that matter) don't just turn up in your blind spot. They've been catching / following / pulling out from behind you for a while, but you never noticed. ;)