The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Twin turbo Vs Single Turbo

Axle

Which set-up do you prefer - Twin Turbo or Single?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which set-up do you prefer - Twin Turbo or Single?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Single all the way and for two main reasons. Firstly I like the jekyll and hyde of a single, ie you can tootle around off boost and then unleash hell when you fancy it. Second, the noise ! A single on full tilt with the wastegate open and the screamer pipe singing away, you just forget how much it cost you cos you have this big stupid grin plastered all over your face :D

A well setup small or mid single would probably still be quicker. And mid-top end there would be no comparison.

Oh, what rev range would a small single usually kick in?

I thought the first turbo kicking in before the turbo from the single turbo supra, would make it quicker.

If its 0-30 mph does the stock twin / hybrid twin, have a better chance than the big single?

So whats a natural upgrade set-up for a Twin Turbo, and like wise Single turbo?

Would be really intresting to compare price/performance.

So those who have experienced it, could you describe the difference in the Single turbo setup compared to the Twin?

So whats a natural upgrade set-up for a Twin Turbo, and like wise Single turbo?

Would be really intresting to compare price/performance.

So those who have experienced it, could you describe the difference in the Single turbo setup compared to the Twin?

Do a search my friend. Loads of info out there as it has been covered many, many times

I've never driven a single'd Supra, but I've been for a spin in one. The difference is exactly as Muffleman explained earlier. The noise, the screaming, the feeling of being thrown back into your seat, the stupid grins, the adrenalin. My stock TT makes me smile and I love driving her, but it just doesn't compare to a single!

Well I have had a bone stock TT, nicely put together BPU+ and also a medium sized single.

A BPU car is a great package and a great car. However, a small\medium sized single really would leave it behind. Look at the dyno print in this thread http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=136626. That car is making 400bhp by about 4300\4400 rpms, and then goes onto 560bhp. By which point the TT will be a way behind.

Whenever I've taken someone for a spin in my single, they only say two words - F**K ME !!! :D

i started with a stock tt, i thought wow, i then went bpu, i then went double wow, then on to hybrids and thought this just gets better, then onto a poorly setup gt4088 single, and thought f*ck me, i am now having a built engine, t67dbb and will be set up right, watch this space:D

I went from stock to BPU to T67dbb single.

Stock was good, but didn't always feel so responsive, particularly up the rev range. Doing the BPU upgrades completely transformed the car. Much more responsive and performance when the 2nd turbo came in always made me smile.

Single is a real transformation (There are good and bad points). It loses that very low down torque when in the first 2 gears (manual) and certainly isn't as quick or responsive as the twins at sub 5k rpm at low speeds. However once the turbo spools in the first two gears there was so much power it'd just light the tires up. I do not think a single is a good choice if you do most of your driving below 45mph.

Once you're in 3rd it's a whole different matter, there is much more torque at lower rpm than the TT and power delivery is far smoother. Obviously power at the mid and high rev range is considerably more than TT.

The best choice for you depends on what you're using the car for. If it's going to be used on the track or for higher speed driving (A and M roads) then the single is worth considering., If you only ever drive around town and don't get much chance to get the pedal down then staying with the twins would be recommended.

Price is another matter, single conversions are VERY expensive to do properly and even then tend to have more issues. Components will wear faster and you'll get through a lot of rear tires.

On an auto I personally wouldn't consider a single conversion.

Edited to add:

Positives to single conversion:

- Once in 3rd there is more lower end torque, much more mid range and considerably more high end power (the main reasons people do the conversion in the first place)

- Once in 3rd the power delivery is smoother than TT

- Potential to modify further

Drawbacks:

- Cost (budget ~£8k when starting from stock - just for the engine, fueling and ECU!)

- Loss the low/mid range range power in very low gears

- Ongoing running costs & insurance are much higher

- Fuel consumption on boost is astronomical

- You need a local mapper if you continue to modify

Probably quite a few more!

I have stopped running round playing silly buggers for others - searching for posts, cars etc ;)

Then why the pointless posts?

Ooooh so thats the real reason for your post. Dear oh dear.. A tad immature dude.

Anyway back to topic.

Then why the pointless posts?

Ooooh so thats the real reason for your post. Dear oh dear.. A tad immature dude.

Anyway back to topic.

What? :blink:

I posted up to say that not many people on the forum had experience of both single and twins - fact.

I said that you would be better off doing a search - fact

What was immature about that?