The mkiv Supra Owners Club

More stroker questions

jevansio

I've read all the posts on here, understand most of the pros & cons, but still have a few questions.

I know I'm gonna get told it's very little gain for a huge outlay, that the extra throw & high rpm don't mix & that buying inferior quality parts is a bad idea. What are opinions on going for the HKS kit & keeping my redline conservative, 7000 rpm say.

My goals are to improve spool & low to mid torque. I also want something that's a little bit special.

The Crank. Reading tells me this is probably the most important part, if it's a good one everything should be OK, if not....:(. Is the HKS considered to be a good crank? I don't mind not being able to rev it to 9000rpm (my 4088R probably wouldn't like it anyway). I've sort of ditched Brian Crower & Titan, and think it's between HKS & JUN.

The Piston. Seems JUN is the best, but how far behind is the HKS piston. CW talked about the bore clearances needed to run the cheaper pistons, but he also considers CP to require large bore clearances too (CP was piston I always considered to be good). So in order of quality is it JUN, CP, HKS or JUN, HKS, CP?

I've read of the people in the UK who've ran strokers, mainly high HP drag applications, Leon with the HKS, & Robbie with the JUN, both of which having returned to the 3.0l setup. Is this because of the type of work their cars do, high pressure drag runs, are strokers not suited to this? I read Leon has gone through more than 1? Would a street application have a longer lifespan?

The 4 contenders are Jun or HKS, BC, Titan, opinions (good or bad on each).

I figure CW would choose the JUN kit (as it's only a 3.2l & has better quality pistons), but wouldn't mind knowing if keeping the revs down allows me to go for the HKS kit (ie revving the HKS to 7000 is similar to revving the JUN to 8000).

Any other comments on the subject greatly appreciated.

AFAIK, Robbie only stopped using his Jun kit because something else on that engine broke...he still rates it highly.

The HKS kit will also work well, when you're not taking it to the extreme.

Not sure why you've ruled out the WOTM/Titan strokers?...

AFAIK, Robbie only stopped using his Jun kit because something else on that engine broke...he still rates it highly.

The HKS kit will also work well, when you're not taking it to the extreme.

Not sure why you've ruled out the WOTM/Titan strokers?...

Cheers Alex, it was a post form CW about some of the drawbacks of the BC crank, I'll dig it out, and as Titan now use a BC crank I also ruled that out too, am I being unwise to rule them out.

Was mainly these 2 posts here & here

IMHO...

If I was going for a "serious" new engine build I would either do it myself with an AMAZING engine builder and engineer I know (pointless me putting you in touch with him though as you'd probably wait 18 months or more for something - I waited 10months for my last engine!) or I would speak to Chris at EngineLogics in Houston TX.

http://www.enginelogics.com/contact.html - this guy seriously knows his stuff and will give you some straight up honest advice to suit your goals.

(A lot of the US guys seem to dislike him - mainly because they turned up with their "1000bhp (well known Supra tuner built) motors" and failed to put down anything much over 600 brake on his dyno. He told me the majority just left the "Supra Meet" at his place and drove off in disgust after the first few performed dismally on the dyno). He's not one for BS USBHP figures!! :D

IMHO...

If I was going for a "serious" new engine build I would either do it myself with an AMAZING engine builder and engineer I know (pointless me putting you in touch with him though as you'd probably wait 18 months or more for something - I waited 10months for my last engine!) or I would speak to Chris at EngineLogics in Houston TX.

http://www.enginelogics.com/contact.html - this guy seriously knows his stuff and will give you some straight up honest advice to suit your goals.

(A lot of the US guys seem to dislike him - mainly because they turned up with their "1000bhp (well known Supra tuner built) motors" and failed to put down anything much over 600 brake on his dyno. He told me the majority just left the "Supra Meet" at his place and drove off in disgust after the first few performed dismally on the dyno). He's not one for BS horsepower figures!! :D

Thanks Dan, appreciate the link, will drop him a line.

I was leaning towards the PHR HKS Stroker shortblock & PHR Stage 5 head (all assembled in the US, fitted here in the UK).

I spoke with Chris Wilson as well and he has some very exacting standards and I do not doubt you would have a superb engine, not sure how keen he would be to build a stroker??

He would want to use the very best parts (Jun, Cosworth pistons etc) and that was too rich for me I am afraid, need to work out some kind of gambling format first :D

Silly question, but why not ask Chris to do a drive in, drive out job?

PM'd him a couple of days ago, he is a fair way from me though.

I'm more than happy for Motoscope who are currently working on the car to fit everything, I'm just inclined to get one of these pre built US engine, whether it's fully assembled, or as a block & head.

I spoke with Chris Wilson as well and he has some very exacting standards and I do not doubt you would have a superb engine, not sure how keen he would be to build a stroker??

He would want to use the very best parts (Jun, Cosworth pistons etc) and that was too rich for me I am afraid, need to work out some kind of gambling format first :D

That's exactly the sort of response I'd expect from him too, I figured it'd be JUN for him to do it.

My options were a pre built US engine, or parts from US assembled here, not sure which one works out most financially viable,. Another thing that I liked about the US engines is that they seem to have proved themselves many times on the strip, I'd prefer to follow in someone elses steps than to blaze a new trail for myself.

Just looked at Titan's page:

$15,495 for a 3.4 shortblock

$5,995 for a stage 3 street/race head

That's £10k give or take, not including shipping, then you've got to get it fitted (£2k?) and your EMS remapped- £500-1000?

Seems a lot of money for any potential gains imo.

Has anyone on supraforums got reliable before and after dyno plots of 3.0 vs 3.4 to compare?

I personally would have thought since you are going to relatively untested waters (here in the UK as far as the strokers go), that a more sensible option would be to ask one of the US houses with a proven record to build you an engine and ship it in a crate. You might be able to get some form of warranty on it as well.

I personally would have thought since you are going to relatively untested waters (here in the UK as far as the strokers go), that a more sensible option would be to ask one of the US houses with a proven record to build you an engine and ship it in a crate. You might be able to get some form of warranty on it as well.

That's exactly what I think the sensible option is (that's obviously not includng the more sensible option of not getting one at all). Having a word with KylesTT, lots of US guys use the Titan setup, seems a very well worn path over there.

I've just been through this myself. I'm rebuilding my old engine myself and was very tempted to make it a stroker. I figured I'd probably only build one once, so why not make it the ultimate. I was looking at the JUN and HKS strokers - you can get them for a very good price from Nic, or other places in Japan. You're looking at 4k for the HKS, 4.5k for the JUN, more or less. In the end I decided I couldn't justify the extra cost over standard stroke JUN pistons.