The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra power - But at what cost?

MV8

Hi all. Newbie here so please treat with care.

I was thnking about buying a supra as was in my mates and loved it. Thing is i really like the skyline R33 too.

Whta would sway me is how tunable the supra would be with say 1.5k spent on it. I know wont yield much but what could i do with it other then an exaust system etc to get more power out of it.

Also one more question thats really important in deciding- But how much can say a standard auto supra take on the standard engine? my mate said 500BHP safely? But i got my doubts?

Thanks guys. Great site i can see wy people recommend it. 9 replies in 5.5 seconds! :p .. ok that was cheesy.

Well i had 6k so was ganna spend that on a supra and then about 1.5k or max of 2k on performance mods.

Sorry but how come the fuel pump needs upgrading? just to get it to 400bhp? Id like 400bhp. Would a full decat improve torque? Cos my buddy was looking into doing that too but wasnt sure what the gains would be.

Thanks for link whitesuprboy.

Right so for decent gains im ganna need a upgraded fuel pump and boost controller? My buddy said he thinks ill need a fuel defender cos the ECU limits the fueling or somthing?

Or is that something a ecu remap would solve or would i need a new ECU?

Thanks guys. Great site i can see wy people recommend it. 9 replies in 5.5 seconds! :p .. ok that was cheesy.

Well i had 6k so was ganna spend that on a supra and then about 1.5k or max of 2k on performance mods.

Sorry but how come the fuel pump needs upgrading? just to get it to 400bhp? Id like 400bhp. Would a full decat improve torque? Cos my buddy was looking into doing that too but wasnt sure what the gains would be.

Thanks for link whitesuprboy.

Right so for decent gains im ganna need a upgraded fuel pump and boost controller? My buddy said he thinks ill need a fuel defender cos the ECU limits the fueling or somthing?

Or is that something a ecu remap would solve or would i need a new ECU?

Fuel pump on j-specs not so good so better to be safe than sorry.

A full decat will help performance but fit a restrictor ring (1bar and up with ebc)

FCD yes as it cuts fuel above 1.0 bar although afrs are all over the place at 1.2 bar but gains are still made.

A decent set of cold spark plugs and boost guage to watch and maybe an afr guage if you have change.

But see the bpu link.

and yeah the stock fuel pump cant handle the extra demand

this is actually incorrect it can in most cases. However it is best to get the car on a dyno then to check AFR's are ok. however its more a safety thing, you could potentially be up'ing the requirements of a 15yr old pump. For £70 your engine is often not worth the risk due to pump failure

So whats meant to be a top end fuel pump? I wouldnt skimp on somthing so important hearing what some people are saying about it.

Think i shall also try and install one when i get abit of extra cash. I take it a restrictor ring wouldnt be needed if he got a boost controller?

So whats meant to be a top end fuel pump? I wouldnt skimp on somthing so important hearing what some people are saying about it.

Think i shall also try and install one when i get abit of extra cash. I take it a restrictor ring wouldnt be needed if he got a boost controller?

Walbro 255 lt/hr is most common

no a restrictor ring is still needed, a boost controller can only raise boost not lower it. So you set the restrictor ring to 1 bar and raise it to 1.2 bar with boost controller.