The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Arrived; the volk wheel that weight 7.44kg

Mike B

I spent a lot of time looking for a lightweight wheel after listening to the guys in the know...

trying to pull myself away from the 16kg blingers.

I was told that the forged rims from the lexus are light so I bought a set as a spare, for trackdays etc, they weighed in at 12kg, which were the same as my evolution 19" racing heart...(surprisingly light for 19")

but I was hunting down a lightweight wheel, and top of the list was the volk, most styles of which I did not like.... These however looked like they would fit the bill... and their weights were coming in at around 8-8.5kg. I though even that was being a bit optimistic, so I ordered one to see if it would fit in the right offset and check the weight...

7.44kg!! :blink::thumbs:

and on a +47 offset, purpose made for the supra with no spigot ring; a solid centre.. lets hope they fit when the car comes back from CW, otherwise I will be playing with brake setups.

DSC00006.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

DSC00008.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is... offsets..

I know the 40 offset fits uk spec calipers, but not sure on the 47, which is as near as dammit to the 50 offset of stock... even volk couldn't tell me.

so I'm doing you all a favour by finding the closest offset to stock!

If they don't fit I'll do some fabricating as I really want stock offset.

Have you gone for stock widths and offset but larger diameter?

If they fit UK brakes, which at 18" they should, then I may also be tempted ;)

PM the usuals for the price, I have to say they are not cheap, but they should hold their value if you ever come to sell them on. For a set you are a shade under 2k.

To answer Wez, I went for as close to stock offsets as possible. Rays suggest a 40 front offset for a definate fit, but I went for a +47 offset; closest to the stock +50. I'm going for 8.5 and 9.5. 245 front 275 rear. I hate anything larger on the back. They said the "should" fit but can't guarantee. The rears at 47 offset will for sure fit. They will fit circumference, but caliper clearance...? mmmm...

still, fingers crossed; if not I will be talking to Chris about brakes. I don't want those heavy UK spec calipers and disks back... the Rotoras i have a 6 pot and 355mm are 4kg a wheel lighter than UK.

I want the handling of the car to be as balanced and capable as it can be; all the sups I have owned have had character flaw in this respect.

The strangest thing is in the instruction manual... I should have scanned it... under care of your wheel it says to avoid sudden accelleration and braking, as well as sudden changes in direction so as to not stress the wheel... lol

btw, anyone have any top tips as to protect these rims when they are new?

some sort of heavy duty protective wax perhaps?

I've purchased some Poorboys wheel sealant which has been recommended....will be putting it on mine soon.

Otherwise, I know Envy recommend Zoopseal which is also supposed to be quite good.

:)