The mkiv Supra Owners Club

red button on auto gearbox

SupraRider

Hi people,

have two questions, my car is a non turbo, automatic, jap import. on the gearbox, there is a red button that has got japanese writing on it. what does that button do?

also it has a manual ECT push button as well to engage into manual mode, how does that work since there are no gears to shift?

Ignore these jokers...... the red button is Toyota's version of WEP (War Emergency Power). During my testing days working on the mkivsupra development team for Toyota we found that the non turbo and auto cars especially were a tad underpowered compared with the rivals of the day - those pesky skyline's, GTO's and Fairlady Z's. So we figured we'd include an extra power mode which is accessed through pressing the red button when you need just that little bit more power to win a race or to overtake.

The jap squiggles around the red button say "Extra Power Mode" and once pushed, the ECU maps are switched to more aggressive settings which release around 30bhp extra.

Just be careful choosing your moment when you push it as there have been reports of autos especially randomly spinning out and hitting solid objects through no apparent fault of the driver, usually coinciding with winter months and / or diesel spills.

Cheers,

Bob.

Ignore these jokers...... the red button is Toyota's version of WEP (War Emergency Power). During my testing days working on the mkivsupra development team for Toyota we found that the non turbo and auto cars especially were a tad underpowered compared with the rivals of the day - those pesky skyline's, GTO's and Fairlady Z's. So we figured we'd include an extra power mode which is accessed through pressing the red button when you need just that little bit more power to win a race or to overtake.

The jap squiggles around the red button say "Extra Power Mode" and once pushed, the ECU maps are switched to more aggressive settings which release around 30bhp extra.

Just be careful choosing your moment when you push it as there have been reports of autos especially randomly spinning out and hitting solid objects through no apparent fault of the driver, usually coinciding with winter months and / or diesel spills.

Cheers,

Bob.

:dTypical of a Moderator to come along and spoil it:d

I think I found out how the red button works through the numerous other threads asking that very question, which saved me the roasting this chap's getting now!

Good luck to you, but please use the search button, it will save you the public humiliation and is very educational too :)

Cheers,

Bob.

Nasty..:D

Bah, someone always comes along with the proper answer and spoils it :(

You are sods. :D

Come on ..10 posts really deserves this??????