The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK Spec auto owners

Dnk

My dilema is im not really after more power just to replace the stock set up with either a nice simple single set up which definetly looks better or fit new stock turbos.

I guess my biggest concern isnt the cost but how the car drives afterwards if i go single.

Im not looking for 1 big sudden rush of 450-500 hp, ive driven a jap spec single with 580 hp approx but with 6 speed box and that was too much for me to be honest for rd use :blink:

My dilema is im not really after more power just to replace the stock set up with either a nice simple single set up which definetly looks better or fit new stock turbos.

I guess my biggest concern isnt the cost but how the car drives afterwards if i go single.

Im not looking for 1 big sudden rush of 450-500 hp, ive driven a jap spec single with 580 hp approx but with 6 speed box and that was too much for me to be honest for rd use :blink:

IMO the answer is very simple, replace the stock turbos and if you want a bit more power go BPU, the best of both worlds with power and reliability

Forget singles on a budget its pointless ;)

IMO the answer is very simple, replace the stock turbos and if you want a bit more power go BPU, the best of both worlds with power and reliability

Forget singles on a budget its pointless ;)

Im already at Bpu, decatted, 1.2 bar, drager exhaust, fmic, etc

I wouldnt do a single conversion on the cheap, ive seen the quality manifolds and bodging 1st hand thanks, im after how did your car drive after youd gone single.

What kind of hp did you have with the T78

Im already at Bpu, decatted, 1.2 bar, drager exhaust, fmic, etc

I wouldnt do a single conversion on the cheap, ive seen the quality manifolds and bodging 1st hand thanks, im after how did your car drive after youd gone single.

What kind of hp did you have with the T78

I would say you are around the 400 mark now on BPU and you say you want a small single and 450bhp, that would be a very quick spooling single and a fun drive but a lot of expence, I also managed to destroy my Auto box with the 500+ BHP, you should be fine with 450 if you look after the box with a cooler and oil changes etc

The T78 ran 580BHP as did the T04R, the auto box was ok with both drive wise but as I said I destroyed one then went 6 speed, the T78 was VERY laggy though

I went T61 in my UK Auto, not impressed at all. Turned out i had a snapped piston ring though...... turbo wouldnt come online untill 4'800 rpm

Should have really bothered answering.... sorry

Thanks for the input, it all adds to the picture :)

I have a UK auto and I have a garage full of parts to swap to "big" twins - what I lack is the ability to decide on an ECU and auto gearbox upgrade that will work well while converting to MAP or if I should go manual... or just sell the kit and the car and get something that's less stress :)

Mattk has a UK auto single - he may pop in to discuss it....

I have a XS-Power T70 uk single. It was previously a GT35R but that had an oil feed issue, so was replaced.

Am looking now to refurb it or buy a brand new GT35R and put that back on, as the lag and the slow spool on the T70 is not to my liking. The T70 has lots of power when it comes on, but by the time you get into that rev-range unless you're on a clear road, I have found that's about the time I want to ease off the power. Forget going WOT on anything below 50mph unless you're on the smoothest of smooth roads, it hasn't rained for ages and it's a dry warm summer's day. I would say it's not progressive enough for my liking and would like something that comes on earlier and quicker and slightly less aggressive. I'll also be looking into gearbox coolers. That and if you look at threads on big-single turbos no-one's recommending the T70/T61 sorta stuff but seems to be the GT35R or GT4088R, something fast with a DBB/journal bearing.

I have a MAF sensor but am seriously seriously considering changing this to MAP. I want to in the next month buy an AEM EMS and get MAP put on. It's currently running with a greddy emanage blue piggyback on it, but after reading all around here AEM may be better.

I think the MAF is causing me a few issues, I bought the car and it has an atmospheric BOV welded onto the cool end of the IC pipework, even though I've got the screw adjusted to be shut I think it's still causing the MAF to go mental, so I'm going to get a recirculation one put on.

It does look like a UK-single is a bottomless pit of money. Fun, but costly.

I'll have a XS-Power T70 turbo for sale shortly if you want it :p but I think the buying market for this would be lorry/bus drivers, or people who wanna take their car up the strip.

caseys - auto or manual?

Auto, thought you'd have picked that up where I said about gearbox coolers :p .... suppose I should put it in my sig! Doh!

The GT35R was RR'd at 460 RWHP, so I am concerned that the T70 is also probably producing too much power for a standard auto box, but not experienced any slip etc.

Thanks for the input guys, ive been umming and areing over the best way to go for a long time now, i'd like to go single as imo it really does tidy up the engine bay but dont want to upset the drivability of my car.

Fitting new oe tubbies or going single will be expensive as im not looking to do this on the cheap, cheap doesnt work imo and just creates problems. i know the oe set up works so is there a single set up that can work as well as that or am i dreaming.