The mkiv Supra Owners Club

W85 (5 speed box) strength questions

mikeyb10supra

Maybe one for the N/A-T boys or anyone else for that matter that may want to chip in, im considering doing a 5-speed swap into my TT and uprating the clutch, flywheel etc. My question is, and maybe Chris Wilson or digsy can chip in for this....can it be significantly stregthened...ie to hold a small single and when I mean small, im talking about a gt30 or similar on a cast manifold??

Will be a whole lot cheaper than a 6 speed conversion and with 'lower' power levels should be ok I would have thought if well maintained, I have never driven the Supra 5 speed but I have always felt the 6 speed while very strong was always a gear to many and was really a fashion statement as much as anything else, When I think of the 5 speed in my R32 GTR the length of time in one gear is much longer and allows crummy drives like me a chance to get some power down :D

Will be a whole lot cheaper than a 6 speed conversion and with 'lower' power levels should be ok I would have thought if well maintained, I have never driven the Supra 5 speed but I have always felt the 6 speed while very strong was always a gear to many and was really a fashion statement as much as anything else, When I think of the 5 speed in my R32 GTR the length of time in one gear is much longer and allows crummy drives like me a chance to get some power down :D

my thinking too....ive never been one for all out top end power so thinking of building the car for low end gearing and setup for point to point driving, its just the strength and ratios that concerns me

A certain TF fitted a high ratio diff by mistake when I had my six speed conversion done (its changed now) this gave the car huge acceleration but at the pod day I was grabbing 5th gear with 300 yards to go and knew something was wrong, however the accleration off the line was very good and I would imagine the 5 speed box would have a similar effect as the second and third gear would be much longer ?

bromy has told me that he is running 400bhp n/a-t through his box and has covered 16k miles in two years with no issues. im running stock tt power through mine and it feels strong enough at the moment. just have to see what happens when i go bpu in the spring. the americans say it can handle 450bhp (but you know what they are like with figures)

i know people who run w58's with over 400 with no problems.

i was quoted £89 for an input shaft bearing from mr t in my old w58 and i got the exact same bearing from derby bearings for £35 so the cost soon mounts up when replacing other bits like synchromesh's etc....id get some use out of the 5spd 1st at least till it dropped to its knees and died, i must admit i liked the 5spd in my tt