The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Putting car on axel stands on jacking points

Daston

i made some stands that have the correct cut out for our cars, you could easily make an adaptor or even butcher some old jacks from the scrap yard then weld it on an existing axle stand, i would not rest something on top of the stand especially if you are going to be ragging the car about a bit, my mate told me off a 300zx owner who died crushed under his car :(

what and cut a grove in the wood? dont like the idea of a 1cm bar holding a car up!!

When you lower the car down onto each individual stand the pointy down bit will sink into the wood until either side of it is sitting on the wood as well making contact with the whole area of the jacking point. Once on all four stands and with the weight of the car sitting on them it wont be moving anywhere.

Also keep the jack under the closest area to where you working pumped up so its as close as touching the car to give you a back up and piece of mind.

Also keep the jack under the closest area to where you working pumped up so its as close as touching the car to give you a back up and piece of mind.

:yeahthat:

And put some old wheels under the car at each corner.... as, god forbid, if it does come off the stands you'll be grateful for that bit of space :blink:

:yeahthat:

And put some old wheels under the car at each corner.... as, god forbid, if it does come off the stands you'll be grateful for that bit of space :blink:

Yes thats good advice...! Even if its the wheel you have just taken off your car, as it can only cost you a refurb if it does fall and I would much rather pay that than a face rebuild...!

what and cut a grove in the wood? dont like the idea of a 1cm bar holding a car up!!

If you look at the stock jack and the lip on the car that it goes onto, which is reinforced, you will see that it's the lip that takes all the weight. I tested it but, still wanted to make something a little more secure.

Have a look here at my test mock-up.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=95383

I just need to find a suitable material to use as the blocks now.

I just need to find a suitable material to use as the blocks now.

A very hard rubber would be good. Frosts vehicle restoration do rubber moulding kits in various hardnesses.

Here's the one http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=9064&frostProductName=Hard+Rubber+Moulding+Kit+%28500g%29&catID=22&subCatID=21&FrostCat=Miscellaneous&FrostSubcat=Miscellaneous