The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Forum Member and Some Advice Sought After...

Guest Fivelo

Guest Fivelo

Hi Chaps,

I'm Adrian, 22 from Milton Keynes. I've wanted a Supra since the summer of 2005 when I first saw IMV Films' Vehicular Lunatics DVD (if you haven't seen it I thoroughly recommend :)

Anyway... I'm at a point now where I'm seriously considering purchasing one but am after some advice and potentially the news that I should wait a while longer.

My main problem is insurance, due to my age and the fact that I rear ended a taxi in March last year (been driving for four years now, stupid mistake really, funny in a way but that's another story...) and therefore 0 NCB :(

What I really want to know is, is it worth going for one now or waiting for NCB? I was looking at spending max. 2.5-3k TPFT as I really want this car... Could anyone recommend any insurers?

As for the car itself, I'm a bit dubious of the TT as new to RWD and also they are probably a bit too pricey for me. This brings it down to a manual or automatic NA. I remember finding out a while back that most, if not all, manuals in the UK are imported (and therefore most likely out of the question insurance wise). So my question here is: will I be missing much (apart from a couple of gears.. :) in an auto?

Comments, suggestions and general advice negative or positive all welcome!

Many Thanks

Adrian

Evening. Test drive an auto and a manual. People can tell you the pros and cons of each box, but only you'll be able to decide if you'll miss the gear changes. I was against auto, but I really enjoy it now. There were only 200ish UK manuals made. Probably not too many left!

Insurance...try the usual suspects of Adrain Flux, Sky, A Plan, Greenlight, Bell, Admiral. Elephant are usually pretty cheap, but I've heard horror stories if you have to claim from them. What sort of quotes are you getting so far? An import TT will be about the same to insure as an import NA.

Good luck with the search!

Guest Fivelo

Wow.... Thanks for fast responses guys!

Confused.com (please don't flame me ) is generally scoring around about the 3k mark for all models and that's assuming they're UK.

I will contact the insurers above and see what they can do - not holding high hopes or anything! Will see about test driving both forms although I can see it being a bit of a challenge ^^

Thanks again!

If you struggle with test drives, try and get to a meet. There are some pretty friendly people on here who might take you out in their NA/TT auto/manual. It might not be the same as driving yourself, but you can get a feel for how the auto box responds and the sort of performance to expect from the two engines.

This brings it down to a manual or automatic NA. I remember finding out a while back that most, if not all, manuals in the UK are imported (and therefore most likely out of the question insurance wise).

I'm slightly confused by this.

Well, not really as I know what the case is I guess :p

All NA models are imports.

The UK models were all TT.

So if you're looking for a NA, it's gonna be import regardless ;)

Then you'll just have to decide if you wanna go manual or auto. :)

Guest Fivelo

Cool, thanks for the advice - certainly would like to come to a meet anyway at some point

Bell are looking pretty good for a manual TT import... Yet to check the others out :D

Byargh!

Guest Fivelo

Dammit you're all responding too quickly for me to reply...!

HateEvent: meant to add in "although I may be wrong" ;) apologies!

Dangerous: I know the insurance is stupid, 2.6k is the cheapest I've had so far and that's only for 10 months accelerated NCB (albeit on the TT import...)

I'm trying to decide whether or not it's worth it to me as if I go for another car, I fear I'll be disatisfied I didn't live for the moment and get the car I've wanted for the last 3 years :(

Juanchan: I work in Twyford so definitely up for that! Will have a lewk.

Trig & Havard: will be making lots of phonecalls tomorrow :)

Thanks for the responses chaps, truely phenonmenal!

Fivelo -

Hi m8. Im up in Northampton and i have had a NA 5 speed import and i currently have a BPU TT UK spec.

If you want a run in my car give me a shout. ill be free this weekend if your up for it. and i can give you the lowdown on the differences between NA and the TT.

I was 24 when i got my TT and my insurance is arround the 1.8k mark with adrian flux. 1 years NCB.

Confused was USELESS for me. at least double what sky quoted me.

HateEvent -

Its quite simple. It works like this

If its NA, its imported, no matter what.

If its an aerotop, its imported, no matter what.

If its a facelift, its imported, no matter what.

If its a TT and non facelift,

has headlight washers and an active spoiler (if stock bumper),

has a oem rear fog switch.

has heated seats.

has FULL cream leather,

has cream carpets,

has no "ejector seat" button by the gearstick and has "TRC Control" instead of "Slip control"...

then its going to be a UK model.

HateEvent -

has heated seats.

has FULL cream leather,

has cream carpets,

has no "ejector seat" button by the gearstick and has "TRC Control" instead of "Slip control"...

I've read those more than once. You're forgetting the UK cars that have a full black interior ;)

ohh. indeed i am :p

Not a huge number of them though :)

True. JohnK on here has a white UK with full black interior and IMO it looks very :cool:

Also, for HateEvent:

If it's an aerotop it will have left the factory as an auto :) (Although am I right in saying that some manual aerotops went to the US? :search:)

Guest Fivelo

Hi guys,

First off just want to say thanks one last time for the input, it's all very much appreciated, especially to Guigsy for the opportunity to experience one.

Unfortunately after reviewing my financial situation I've realised i'm in way over my head - not to worry though as I will be back one day in the future (hopefully sooner rather than later!) and will go for it! Just need to stabilise the money, look after it a bit better etc etc..... :)

Thanks again guys, hope to be in touch soon!

Adrian

HateEvent -

has heated seats.

has FULL cream leather,

has cream carpets,

You have to explain nothing to me mate! I know it all to well!

All the case is for me is that I'm gonna be either an SZ or SZ-R because I can't afford a UK Spec or RZ (JDM TT) to buy outright.

I KNOW the insurance on UK TT is less than a JDM NA but it's twice the price to buy the UK TT so fu*k that! :lol

I'll cya when an RZ is 6k :p