The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyres all the same size?

MaRkYbOy72

Is it dangerous to have 4x 17" wheels or will it be ok? Am not far off purchasing some 3 spokes from a chap on here but am now worried that the rears are not wide enough :search:

?? UKs and j-specs with the larger brakes came with 4 x 17" wheels as standard. Not sure what you're asking really! :search:

he he ... sorry for the confusion. All 4 alloys with tyres are 235/45/17 but i seem to read that the rear tyres are wider than the fronts? :innocent:

It's a powerful RWD car. Rear tyres are usually wider than the fronts in that case. And I wouldn't go as narrow as 235 on the rears. Not sure what the stock 16s had on them, but the stock 17s come with 255 on the rear.

Thank you for all your help. I guess i might not get them then after all :( Dont want to be at risk of any kind ...

The wheels themselves may be perfectly adequate, but the tyres may not. The wheels on my Supra are all exactly the same size but with wider tyres on the rears.

What about all 4 being 235 ?

You wouldn't have any problem at all with these sizes, 235's aren't narrow.

I've just been looking at a new BMW 330, 272 BHP and it's running 225/45 front and rear.

Obviously I wouldn't buy these sizes If I was buying new wheels and tyres, but with secondhand ones you don't always have a choice.

When I bought my TT the previous owner had fitted 255's all round, I only had a problem with traction when I went BPU. But for the stock car they were fine.