The mkiv Supra Owners Club

trying something out of my league

123tom123tom

hi there am going to attempt to remove my fuel rail this weekend and change it, slightly worried as i have been looking at some docs and you have to take the inlet off... any tips on doing this like remembering what goes where when puting it back together, am going to be upgrading the fuel pump and fuel regulator also...

so a busy weekend i think...

tips are welcome

tom

The inlet manifold has to come off, but that isn't complex in itself, just darn fiddly. It helps if you have slender hands and forearms :D It makes life much easier if you can move the PAS reservoir out of the way, but beware that old, brittle hoses can put pressure on the PAS feed, so don’t push it too far.

As Miko says, take a few pics along the way as it'll help remind you where things go on reassembly.

The injector seals and injector insulators are NOT reusable, so make sure you have new ones before starting. The injector seals will need to be coated in fuel before replacing otherwise they have a good chance of pinching.

What fuel rail and injectors are you installing? If the rail is aftermarket, the placement needs to *perfect* to avoid leaks, it can be a tricky job to get right. Best to get the fuel system up to pressure (and beyond) before replacing the manifold to check for leaks.

The injector seals and injector insulators are NOT reusable, so make sure you have new ones before starting. The injector seals will need to be coated in fuel before replacing otherwise they have a good chance of pinching.

Do I need both the seals and insulators for an injector change? I am not touching the fuel rail it's staying stock.

Are they standard sizes and were could I get them?

Yes you will need the seals. There is one on either end of the injector where it push fits into the rail and where it push fits into the manifold. I personally put a dab of vaseline on the seals now having nipped far too many seals trying to squeeze them in.

I don't know about the insulators but my guess here is its the bit inside the plug fitted onto the injector that seperates the pins. If its anything like the spark plug ones that get brittle and fall apart with age when you remove them then yes if you are taking out the injectors and putting on new ones then you will be removing the plugs and this problem mat occur.