The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Chris W - 1st de-cat

cheekymonkey

I wouldnt worry too much about doing it on axle stands, did mine yesterday no probs with the front on stands and my legs hanging out the front. As long as the cars stable keep the trolly jack under there too I had my little scissor jack as well.

Plenty 3in 1 on the nuts, you'll need a universal joint and various extensions with wobbly joints and a big ring spanner to help with the leverage.

I have some ramps... great for the Audi but I'd have to remove the front bumper to get the Supra up the ramps. Last time I did that I nearly broke it!

Maybe an idea to jack the front from the side and put the ramps underneath ?

I had a look at some ramps a while back, but never found anything that would accomodate the wide wheels and strong enough to hold up supra weight.

Which ones do people buy then ?

It's perfectly feasible to do it on stands, but if a stud shears or strips it will be a nightmare to sort it, and you need metric fine taps and helicoils, and the studs to hand. Have a go, by all means, but it won't be pleasant if something goes wrong. I often have to take the turbo elbow off to helicoil a broken stud, and that's not going to be fun on axle stands. The safety aspect isn't an issue if the stands are up to the weight of the car, an positioned properly and securely.

It's perfectly feasible to do it on stands, but if a stud shears or strips it will be a nightmare to sort it, and you need metric fine taps and helicoils, and the studs to hand. Have a go, by all means, but it won't be pleasant if something goes wrong. I often have to take the turbo elbow off to helicoil a broken stud, and that's not going to be fun on axle stands. The safety aspect isn't an issue if the stands are up to the weight of the car, an positioned properly and securely.

thankyou

The safety aspect isn't an issue if the stands are up to the weight of the car, an positioned properly and securely.

What would be the "proper" position for this sort of work? I don't think I've ever actually used axle stands on the axles themselves, but rather on the chassis where you'd put a jack.

thankyou

Yep OK you were right hehe :)

Jack up each side at a time positioning the axle stands underneath the sill lip between the two notches preferrably using some wood to prevent damaging the sill. Make sure the car does not rock while sitting on them.

Like Chris says tho if the nuts wont budge and you snap a stud your fecked, also very easy to round one of the 14mm nuts as its difficult to get the ratchet into a good position.

All 3 bolts on mine gave a good crack and spun off easily without the use of a hammer.

Cheers

Mike

Doh just read your post properly, yeah I used the stands where the jack goes but use the trolley jack on the front wishbone mounts with wood.