The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Nurburgring Times 2008

Gaz6002

Out on Thursday 24th July (catch evening session if feeling brave), Return on 28th/29th looks good at first glance...

= 1 evening, 1 half day, 2 full days and if we stayed on, + 1 extra evening session.

or possibly, but the Bank Holiday will undoubtedly make it uber busy...

Out on Thursday 14th August, back on Tuesday 19th

= 2 evenings, 2 half days, 1 full day

or even...

Out on Fri 29th August, back on Thur 4th September (quite a long trip!!)

= 3 evenings + 3 full days

BUT!

I don't 100% trust these dates yet (see here). Unless the Ring management have changed their approach drastically, I doubt it will be open on all of the dates shown. I've never seen it scheduled to be open for more than a few days at a time, yet according to these preliminary dates it's regularly open to the public for 10~15 days in a row (albeit not all day). I'm not convinced the calendar is fully up to date yet. I hope that I'm wrong and those dates are right, but would advise not making any firm arrangements until end of Feb/early March when the dates will be more or less guaranteed. :thumbs:

I'll keep my ear to the ground and start circulating the main forums again. Watch this space, I might organise something.... ;)

I would like to join too, but just to take pictures, not to race.

Everyone says that ;)

You can drive (don't race) the track relatively risk-free (not much different to driving on a normal road), don't dismiss it without a bit of thought. I'm always happy to take passengers anyway... :)

The allowed noise levels being mentioned for this year have dropped :( to 95db.

They are also saying that there will be much stricter and more effective testing enforcement both before, during and after lapping.

What are everyones thoughts on this? Looks like I might have to get that screamer pipe silenced!!

I'm in, any day, any week, whatever I have planned will be cancelled for the Ring.

My baby is going into the Supra Doctor Saturday for a winter overhaul, some new bits, some new paint, just some loving really :) All ready for improved Ring performance :)

Can't wait!

Hell after last year.... we returned, the next day I bought an XBox 360, FM2 & a 42" HD LCD just to practice some more ready for 2008.

Counting the minutes!

The allowed noise levels being mentioned for this year have dropped :( to 95db.

They are also saying that there will be much stricter and more effective testing enforcement both before, during and after lapping.

What are everyones thoughts on this? Looks like I might have to get that screamer pipe silenced!!

I don't think you will have any concerns TBH they have a "purge" made public every year yet to see one happen though

I don't think you will have any concerns TBH they have a "purge" made public every year yet to see one happen though

I've just been discussing this with a mate with a loud RX7 and we are going to go as we are and hope for the best. As you say, we've never had any problems before as it was meant to be 98db then.

There has been a great deal of discussion on various forums regarding noise levels this year, and the bottom line is 95dbs limit will be strictly enforced, any car or bike over this limit will not be allowed on track, they are also as I understand it posting meters at various points around the track as well

apparently there has been more & more complaints about noise and with more cars attending I suppose it had to happen, My car for instance is 93dbs static at 4500revs so will get through the barriers, but has a straight to air wastgate that makes it 100dbs drivby on full boost at 4 meters so would not pass,

As I understand they intend to pull over anyone with a car that sounds noisy so you may be disappointed by just hoping for the best

one thing coming from all of this is there will be fewer cars in the car park and no porches as they are 98dbs from the factory

(now that will be interesting)

Steve... you'd better be driving mate. No excuses. I'd say go for the 3 day option....have you enquired at the Ringhaus yet?

I shall be driving, just not enirely sure what yet - I shall plan my next few moves as carefully as possible. :)

Haven't asked the Ringhaus yet as I don't trust the dates (will start looking as soon as my birthday is out of the way at teh strat of Feb) and also, I would like to go back to our B&B - it's cheaper for one, meaning more money for laps & beer, tho not at the same time, obviously :D

If some of us ended up in the Ringhaus & some in the B&Bs I think that would work, they're not far apart and taxis seemed relatively cheap - it would be good if we had easier acess to a bar, tho the steak in the pub near(ish) the B&Bs was truely divine.

I guess where & how many places we stay at will ultimately depend on how many of us are going.... it looks like everyone who went last year wants to go again, so we'll probably need the extra accomodation options! :)

There has been a great deal of discussion on various forums regarding noise levels this year, and the bottom line is 95dbs limit will be strictly enforced, any car or bike over this limit will not be allowed on track, they are also as I understand it posting meters at various points around the track as well

That's whsat I've read too. Doesn't worry me with the stock exhaust. Bignum (Simon) got tested - and passed - at the barriers last year.

....no porches as they are 98dbs from the factory

wow, seriously!? That I didn't realise. I'm amazed that they could end up banning such a popular car (albeit not directly on purpose).

98dBs is pretty dammed loud though, so I'm not surprised they're coming down harder and harder each year. At least they're warning people way in advance, surely most people can get/have fabricated a baffle of some description.

One thing I could well be wrong about, and the trackside sound level metres might well negate, is there didn't seem to be as many staff on during weekdays, and as a result not so much interest in noise testing, cameras, etc...