The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A Tuning capabilities

dale tt

If you only want sound then decat it and get a nice quality cat back exhaust. It will release a small amount of bhp and be incredibly loud :innocent:

That’s about it for NA tuning, getting any real power from one is a dead end in terms of cost effectiveness. It's been covered here every few days for the last 6 years :D

what options are there for a n/a supra

exhaust

CAI

map

what else??

I just want a decent sound as its obviously not going to be that quick

Dale

Hi Dale

I am organising another production run of stainless steel NA manifolds, these replace the stock cast manifolds and first cat. Please see full details here:

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=135846

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/8473/p1030161sa4.jpg http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1831/p1030162uk1.jpg

You could also replace the second cat with a decat pipe, come MOT time it is relatively easy to refit the 2nd cat for the test.

I can also supply new exhausts and TRD panel airfilter (or aftermarket induction kit if preferred).

When were your O2 sensors last renewed? If they haven't been renewed for a while fitting a new pair should help with fuel economy and engine response. I would also suggest getting the car serviced to ensure everything is working as well as it can be.

cheers

I know turbo's are easier to tune becuase my megane 225 isn't too bad to play with

The supra isn't old enough to go through the MOT without the cats is it?? :sly:

Will the n/a be able to go sideways on occasions :innocent:

Dale

In winter weather it'll go sideways very easily, the problem is whether you have the experience to control it. Are you new to RWD cars?

You can get a little extra power out of the NA's, but unless you're willing to spend a massive amounts of money it will never get near the power of the stock TT. Keep in mind the stock TT can easily be modded to 430bhp and has the potential for far, far more with a healthy budget.

What sort of money do you have to spend on modifying and what is your budget for the original purchase price & ongoing costs?

In winter weather it'll go sideways very easily, the problem is whether you have the experience to control it. Are you new to RWD cars?

You can get a little extra power out of the NA's, but unless you're willing to spend a massive amounts of money it will never get near the power of the stock TT. Keep in mind the stock TT can easily be modded to 430bhp and has the potential for far, far more with a healthy budget.

What sort of money do you have to spend on modifying and what is your budget for the original purchase price & ongoing costs?

Homer's words have enlightened me on more than one occassion. Get a TT!

Ideally i would like to spend in the region of 4-5,500 max on a tt or n/a. Insurance is going to be ridiculous as im only 19. And no i havent driven a rwd car as of yet. I am used to powerfull fwd. i have currently got a megane 225 turbo with 275 bhp. It wont be too much of a shock with the tt but dont want to kill myself. Everyone has always warned me about all the cars i have had and said they are too powerfull but to be honest i never listen and fine they are underpowered after a month.

Dale

na's are import only and you will not find a great deal of differance in price between and NA and TT. But for your budget you may be lucky enough to get a import auto TT. Prices are a bit all over the place still. I think a nice NA manual will be the best bet. You can always up grade or drop in a TT engine (NA-TT) at a later point.

I know turbo's are easier to tune becuase my megane 225 isn't too bad to play with

The supra isn't old enough to go through the MOT without the cats is it?? :sly:

Will the n/a be able to go sideways on occasions :innocent:

Dale

The supra sure is able to go through the MOT without cats (well at least the first cat and likley the second i reccon too).

At my MOT last year, the garage was unable to find the Supra N/A on their list of cars on the DVLA database, and hence they didnt have a specification for the exhaust gases.

Apparently in these cases (by the sound of it any import car that wasnt available in the UK), the DVLA dont have exhaust gas specs and they therefore use a very high max limit as a fall back spec for all of these cars.

The limit that was used for mine was 3.5% for CO (apparently most cars have a max limit of about 0.2%) and max HC was 1200ppm (not sure what a normal limit for this is)

To give you an idea of how my single de-cat N/A came in, in terms of results, my CO was 0.206% and my HC was 156ppm.

These are well within the limits the MOT uses for this car, and hence it could be running like sh*t and would still pass, you could mod it like hell and it would still pass.

Some of the traders on here must come across this regularly and will be able to advise far better than i can, but this was my experience last year. By complete chance my MOT is tommorrow so i will let you know how i get on this time around.

If you only want sound then decat it and get a nice quality cat back exhaust. It will release a small amount of bhp and be incredibly loud :innocent:

That’s about it for NA tuning, getting any real power from one is a dead end in terms of cost effectiveness. It's been covered here every few days for the last 6 years :D

The 2jzge engine is just like any other four stroke n/a engine, as long as you can get more air and fuel into the cylinders in a given time you will have more power. As it's an N/A this usually means more revs- take M3's with their 8000rpm redlines.

If you have the money you can do anything, but each bhp will cost you ten times more than for a TT engine.

I had a 300Zx tt for my first RWD car and to be honest it was a bit much to take for a beginer!

the Supra n/a that i have now is more controlable and i've had alot of fun with it(some sideways)too.

still, think that the tt would be the better choice, i sort of see mt n/a as a learners car in a way! :)