The mkiv Supra Owners Club

From RX7 to Supra

supra_aero

Hey all, am new to forum so hello all.

Sold my 360bhp rx7 in August and now own a N/A supra. I wanted the turbo and aerotop but couldn't afford to have both and always wanted an aerotop so got that in N/A form (rather cheaply too!).

Anyway, first off the car is totally standard, which I thought coming from a kitted/tuned up rx7 would be disappointing, but I absolutely love it. Petrol consumption is no where near as ridiculous and its so so much fun going around corners. Don't know why, but I find it so much more fun to drive - granted not being a turbo its obviously not as quick off the mark but its so much more controllable and fun bringing the tail out and catching it back etc. Also I thought supra being a lot more common wouldn't turn any heads but I was wrong. Is a great car, I didn't like supra's all that much but now I am hooked. Love it! Looking forward to begin tuning it up though it will be costly being an n/a to make significant performance upgrades!

Looking forward to begin tuning it up though it will be costly being an n/a to make significant performance upgrades!

Too right it will cost a lot to tune it. Since i joined this forum over a year ago, theer have been so many threads on tuning N/As. Simple answer is swap to a TT engine (some members on here do it for £3K all in).

Tuning an N/A is very hard and apparently things like aftermarket air filters only reduce performance.

is a great car have to say. Love the flashing headlights thing when you see another fellow supra owner on the road. With a rx7 you'd be lucky to ever see another one unless you plan to meet up.

Plus the supra hasn't had any problems unlike the rx7 which was always having something going wrong or needing adjusting here and there - although it was always minor (luckily) it was still annoying.

I think I will do an engine swap. My engine is at the 100k mark though driving it you'd never know it.

NA engines are pretty bulletproof in standard form (touches wood)

I have an NA also and i dont for one minute regret buying it!

:welcome: to the club too :)

Supra Aero, tis the best decission you will ever make bud...

The Rotary engine and RX7 on the whole is sh1te..... (had 6 of the bastids) :banghead:

harsh!

i have just come from an RX7, well 7 in fact, here is my last one. RX7's are great cars but are very sensitive, you cant just take the cat out or wind the boost up, they will det and thats it, engine rebuild, I am using a rotary in my kit car track toy as the engines are so cheap to build and get power ot of. I used a 2nd gen with porting and a big single turbo, it ran 460 flyhp for 2 years and was only used for track/drift and drag plus several trips to the ring, it ran 12.2 at 120mph at rotorstock but really came into its own track.

The rx7 FD is a much prettier car than the supra and much more nimble but i can see why people who dont know them would find them annoying!

I have just bought a stockish 6speed TT and its a very nice car and much more practicle for the road and doesnt make your ears bleed but lacks the flare and the 8k rpm redline. But in fairness, i am comparing a stock supra with what is to most people a heavily modded rx7, if the supra had everything the Rx7s that i have owned then it may be a different story.

The black one was my last one with 350 flyhp on stock twins.

The red one was the car before that which i loved and kinda regret selling, but thats probably cos i am still a long way off getting the kit running but when its done 350 hp in a car weighing 650 kg should make up for it!

1.jpg

smallcarosel.jpg

rs43.jpg

harsh!

The rx7 FD is a much prettier car than the supra and much more nimble but i can see why people who dont know them would find them annoying!

I have just bought a stockish 6speed TT and its a very nice car and much more practicle for the road and doesnt make your ears bleed but lacks the flare and the 8k rpm redline. But in fairness, i am comparing a stock supra with what is to most people a heavily modded rx7, if the supra had everything the Rx7s that i have owned then it may be a different story.

I kinda agree with most of what you are saying. BUT lets be totally honest here. I truly believe the rx7 can be a stunning looking car and the supra too is a looker but not so much so (sorry guys).

HOWEVER, the first time I saw a supra I was blown away, and my first time seeing a rx7 was yes special but not as wow. I think the reason rx7s are perceived to be prettier is purely because you see them far less. If you only saw a supra once a month if you were lucky, you'd think its an equally stunning looking car. That's my thoughts anyway.

You had a pretty rare looking rx7 i see with the mazdaspeed front (rare and pricey!). The loudness of the rx7 I do miss, with all the flames as well, but I got pulled over 6-7 times in first 2 months of ownership, as police would hear you coming not necessarily seeing you.

I too would like to see and go in a heavily modded supra as I am yet to see how quick they can be. Maybe the next jap meet at ace cafe someone will offer me a show of what single turbo supra is all about (not asking on here or anything :sly:)