The mkiv Supra Owners Club

removing ABS why?

mr keef

I know that some people remove ABS from there cars,but why?i'v had performance cars in the past which didnt have ABS and they were fine,and since my ABS ring broke i was getting problems with the ABS kicking in at low speeds,so i removed the fuse and the car now drives/brakes fine...i know obviously its a saftey feature but why do people actually go out of there way to remove it?track use mabye?drifting?anyone shed some light on this for me.

Aesthetic reasons. Or weight.

i did it for those reasons i love a clean engine bay thats my thing but my decision was helped by the fact the donor car never had it and its alot of work to remove from the other donor to fit

As you can see it enabled me to use the space where the module normally sits to house my catch can

When you guys removed your ABS, did you have to rig up some sort of timer to the ABS light? Just thinking that for MOT's, they simply look at whether or not the car left the factory with ABS. If it did, the light has to be extinguished within a certain time limit of the ignition being turned on.

Because on an out and out track / race car, the ABS is too intrusive. If you could have a perfectly set-up ABS system, which the stock system is far from, then you would definitely prefer to have it than not as it would enable more consistent braking.

For how much it weighs compared to how much time you would benefit from by having consistent braking, you would definitely keep it.

However for the road, it's more than ample and personally I think pretty good. :)

Is it a simple unbolt it job to remove it or is there more work involved?
Nobody in their right mind would remove it from a road-car Supra. The only reason anyone doesn't have ABS in a Supra road car is because the car was originally an NA which didn't have ABS in the first place. Any claims of not having it for aesthetic reasons or weight saving are BS.

Nobody in their right mind would remove it from a road-car Supra. The only reason anyone doesn't have ABS in a Supra road car is because the car was originally an NA which didn't have ABS in the first place. Any claims of not having it for aesthetic reasons or weight saving are BS.

Amen brother.

• 6 years later...
My abs speed sensor is faulty and needs replacing which toyota are charging 120 Ex vat so my question is can i fully remove the abs system and still pass an mot as i dont want to be spending that much on a abs speed sensor when it has never kicked in even when it should have

Waw old thread. Id look into why it never kicked in before removing it. £120 for life saving equipment doesn't sound expensive to me. Ut may be the ABS pump thats at fault. You could then easily source 2nd hand.

I wouldn't say it was a life saver to be honest I find it more of a pain in most cars. If your actually capable of driving things like ABS and traction control will only ever hinder you.

Until you're out on a wet/greasy road, and someone carves you up and stamps on the brake pedal...

Well for me the traction control kicks in exactly when I need it to as for breaking i tend to break then release the break then release and so on so i have never experienced the abs in a supra however in my previous car (toyota corolla) it did make breaking in the wet somewhat unbearable kind of did the opposite as the wheels locked up and put me in a slide while the pedal was thumping under my foot, which in turn i turned to the above method and it felt a lot better and i seemed to be able to break quicker and harder without the lock up of the wheels

I wouldn't say it was a life saver to be honest I find it more of a pain in most cars. If your actually capable of driving things like ABS and traction control will only ever hinder you.

How? If the ABS is kicking in you've locked up, and if you're locked up you're probably seconds away from having an accident. I would bet 99.9% of road users couldn't beat an ABS system when avoiding a shunt when it really counts.