The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What happened to big money Supra buyers?

hogmaw

Just a few years ago you'd be hard pressed to find a decent supra for less than £10k. The best people to buy from were that company down near Gatwick (I forget the name), and £15k and upwards was not uncommon. The people buying the cars were real enthusiasts, and it was no big deal to spend that kind of money.

Now all I see on this board is people trying to find a UK manual etc with a budget of £6k or less :rolleyes:. How has the demographic changed so quickly? The influx of VVTi since them being allowed into the country recently hasn't really happened either. Is the 2nd hand car market down on the whole? Or is it just for Jap imports, Supras in particular, or other Jap cars too?

Im in two minds what to do at the min, to build myself another supra to the spec and quality that i want i know it will cost me 25k, but thats a lot of dosh to spend on an old car, you can get a lot of car for 25k these days.

Ive asked Jurgen to keep an eye out for me but all the jap imports seem to have silly large turbos and F-con ecu so that would mean spending more again.

Tempted to just go out and buy my self an almost new monaro, im sure the 6.0l vette engine would keep me amused and if it dont its a very easy lump to tune:search:

Im in two minds what to do at the min, to build myself another supra to the spec and quality that i want i know it will cost me 25k, but thats a lot of dosh to spend on an old car, you can get a lot of car for 25k these days.

Ive asked Jurgen to keep an eye out for me but all the jap imports seem to have silly large turbos and F-con ecu so that would mean spending more again.

Tempted to just go out and buy my self an almost new monaro, im sure the 6.0l vette engine would keep me amused and if it dont its a very easy lump to tune:search:

jamie you were built for the supra, not the other way round:D

Guest CoolsBlue
I'm fairly sure they are rarer in Japan than they are here now. I've been to Japan 7 times now and I've seen I think 2 on the road.

Thats what i said, must be, look how many are down here alone:Pling:

i have read these thread over the years time and time again

to be honest yest its a little annoying but to be honest i dont care i love my car and i feel that i have built mine in a way that means if will never be worth peanuts not worth as much as i have spent granted

But as i say if i was in it for profit i would have brought another house not a supra

Now, I'm in Denmak, so I dont know but I'm thinking; couln't it also be due to the fact that imports have been here for some years now and they are getting resold after being fitted with all kinds of bling-bling and the few stock or mint versions still being sold at a premium?

As I said on RedM's thread, our cars have a huge image problem, not as bad as the E36 M3, but it's pretty bad.

But, everybody is in the same boat, my neighbour picked up a TVR Chimaera 500 a few months ago for £9k- a year ago that was a £14k car.

Unfortunately while kids with no taste want to chav their cars and we have traders willing to sell any old shit (cars and kits) for easy money this trend is unlikely to reverse for many, many years.

I'm currently selling mine after 12 months of ownership, to fund buying my first property. Its with out doubt the best car I've owned. But here's the question, if you sell your Supra wot can you buy for the same money to replace it with that kind of power and attention it generates?

Simple answer is not much? Well nothing as the Skyline is a cornflake box on wheels, but a very fast one I might add.

I think the Supra prices may have fallen, but its clearly a shape that ages well and does not look dated parked next to most of the modern supercars.

I'm currently selling mine after 12 months of ownership, to fund buying my first property. Its with out doubt the best car I've owned. But here's the question, if you sell your Supra wot can you buy for the same money to replace it with that kind of power and attention it generates?

Simple answer is not much? Well nothing as the Skyline is a cornflake box on wheels, but a very fast one I might add.

I think the Supra prices may have fallen, but its clearly a shape that ages well and does not look dated parked next to most of the modern supercars.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x201/wayne_bhagan/a10.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x201/wayne_bhagan/a11.jpg

Thats a great point but that citroen xantia looks even better.

I paid £9650 for mine including the ice, it is mint condition with a good spec, I think it was well worth it, drives pretty much like a new car and the condition is A1 :)