The mkiv Supra Owners Club

thinking of a N/A - turbo upgrade?

philstowell

i dont meen right now but ganna start saving my pennies up, i dont know too much about the whole turbo scene yet but do believe a single can bring more than twins??? i saw a single on ebay the other day - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-720HP-Trust-GReedy-T78-Turbo-Kit-Supra-JZA70-1JZGTE_W0QQitemZ290194310877QQihZ019QQcategoryZ72205QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

is that a decent looking one for the price and does any one have one fitted that would recommend this type?

cheers all

phill

Guest michaelt86

i dont have one fitted but i ahve done some research and although u can get plenty of power from a single turbo, the twin is still awesome, get the power all the way throught he range, small turbo for low revs and the big one for higher revs. Also, you really are better off saving up for a TT beacuse although a turbo conversion is good you will still ahve a lower compression than a Factory turbo beacuse the block is built for it and a converted engines isnt so will never be able to run at a higher boost to really unleash all the horsepower its capable off, this said, a turbo conversion will be by no means slow in anyones estimation. Hope it helps

Do a search mate on N/A-T conversions or N/A-TT conversions this topic has been covered times many . But to answer ya question briefly .....

N/A-TT , contact jezz he does them 3K all in fitted inc gearbox .

N/A-T , On a budget and to fit it all yourself 2kish or 3 to 3.5k to get someone like turbo fit to do it , but then theres extra costs like mapping etc .

i dont have one fitted but i ahve done some research and although u can get plenty of power from a single turbo, the twin is still awesome, get the power all the way throught he range, small turbo for low revs and the big one for higher revs.

You can't have a small and large twin turbo sequential setup, as the air flow of the larger turbo would stall the smaller turbo.

To flow the same amount of air, a twin turbo kit would use 2 small identically sized turbos, a single kit would use 1 larger turbo. The twin set up is a lot more complicated, requiring a lot more parts and would have similar (if not slightly more) lag compared to the single turbo.

i dont meen right now but ganna start saving my pennies up, i dont know too much about the whole turbo scene yet but do believe a single can bring more than twins??? i saw a single on ebay the other day - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-720HP-Trust-GReedy-T78-Turbo-Kit-Supra-JZA70-1JZGTE_W0QQitemZ290194310877QQihZ019QQcategoryZ72205QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

is that a decent looking one for the price and does any one have one fitted that would recommend this type?

cheers all

phill

Phil, you'll need to go for a kit specifically for an NA Supra, as the fit of the kit is quite different to the kits for the TT.

Powerhouse Racing and Boost Logic both make good quality kits. Forget about any cheap ebay kits, they are just not worth it.

It isn't as simple as just bolting on a turbo kit, there are a lot of supporting parts required, so be prepared to spend £8k+ to do it right, just off the top of my head here's an idea of what you'd need.

Turbo Kit (needs to include intercooler and piping)

Oil/water/breather lines

Thicker head gasket (ideally completely rebuilt engine with lower compression pistons)

Fuel Injectors

Fuel Pump

Fuel pressure regulator

Fuel lines

ECU + sensors

Boost Gauge, EGT Gauge, AFR Gauge.

Boost controller

Clutch

Spark Plugs

Oil & oil filter

Various gaskets and fittings

Labour for installation

Mapping

Then there are other things to consider; what condition is you engine and cooling system in at the moment, as any increase in power is going to put extra strain on components such as radiator, water pump, thermostat, oil pump, oil seals, etc.

N/A-T , On a budget and to fit it all yourself 2kish or 3 to 3.5k to get someone like turbo fit to do it , but then theres extra costs like mapping etc .

I would at least double that figure once all those extra costs and parts are added in to the total.

well thanks every one, like i said im just thinking of the idea, i knew it would be costly and know that extra bits would need changing and the engine and cooling system would need upgrading with all the cams and gasket and all that, i was just wondering if that on the 1st post was a decent type of turbo? cheers for the input people and my pennies are a saving? say for instance? on any vids where you hear the sups really winding up before they beast it down the road spitting fire, do twins and singles both do that the fire spitting and kind of whistling?

again cheers all

phill

Do a search mate on N/A-T conversions or N/A-TT conversions this topic has been covered times many . But to answer ya question briefly .....

cheers bud, any idea what sort of hp on these? or are there different ones?

ta, phill

Phil, you'll need to go for a kit specifically for an NA Supra, as the fit of the kit is quite different to the kits for the TT.

Powerhouse Racing and Boost Logic both make good quality kits. Forget about any cheap ebay kits, they are just not worth it.

It isn't as simple as just bolting on a turbo kit, there are a lot of supporting parts required, so be prepared to spend £8k+ to do it right, just off the top of my head here's an idea of what you'd need.

Turbo Kit (needs to include intercooler and piping)

Oil/water/breather lines

Thicker head gasket (ideally completely rebuilt engine with lower compression pistons)

Fuel Injectors

Fuel Pump

Fuel pressure regulator

Fuel lines

ECU + sensors

Boost Gauge, EGT Gauge, AFR Gauge.

Boost controller

Clutch

Spark Plugs

Oil & oil filter

Various gaskets and fittings

Labour for installation

Mapping

Then there are other things to consider; what condition is you engine and cooling system in at the moment, as any increase in power is going to put extra strain on components such as radiator, water pump, thermostat, oil pump, oil seals, etc.

cheers for the list, i knew more would be required and the list will be a nice starting block for me to get the trivia bits whilst waiting for the funds to build?

cheers, phill

cheers bud, any idea what sort of hp on these? or are there different ones?

ta, phill

it's just a stock tt engine...soo..320bhp?

At the moment we're working on a new NA setup that will be a perfect fit in the US and hope to get it fitted in with the Jspec to make best of it!

Will have more very soon!

Cheers,

Joe

I believe the biggest issue with the US kits is the steering column hitting the manifold given the fact that we drive on the correct side of the road :p Get round that issue and it will be much easier.

I believe the biggest issue with the US kits is the steering column hitting the manifold given the fact that we drive on the correct side of the road :p Get round that issue and it will be much easier.

also bare in mind that some of the exhaust manifolds are designed for the vvti models. and when fitted to a non vvti the angle the the turbo makes it foul on the dizzy meaning you have to modify the exhaust manifold to rotate the position of the turbo itself

Which choice the best is for you depends on you expectations and budget. These days it;s cheaper to do a NA-TT swap, reliable good power and no mess. Going NA-T is more investigating and cost more than a NA-TT swap. I went for the NA-T route but is i had to choose again i would go NA-TT.