The mkiv Supra Owners Club

latest alloy cleaner brands

Carl_S

I only ever use warm water and shampoo on mine but I have used a highly diluted batch of Meguiars Wheel Brightner in the past on other wheels and found it to be very effective.

It sounds like you need an abrasive metal polish rather than a wheel cleaner though, the Autosol and elbow grease combo should get the job done on bare metal, obviously it won't be ideal if the wheels have a clear coat on.

same here michael , i use what is left after the wash , ive got some strong stuff in the van , but thats for alloys that have never been cleaned, plus a non acidic for general alloys

Agreed, I'd only use dedicated cleaner on seriously baked up nasty stuff - it's not a replacement for a bit of effort and as you say once you've done the hard work and sealed them it's so much easier next time :)

The white clouding usually indicate that you have a clear coat on the polished parts and a stone has chipped this away allowing the water to get in and sit under the clear coat causing the corrosion white spots...!

Mine have now got black spots on them which I can only imagine to be tar, got to find some wheel friendly, but strong, tar remover now to shift the dirt.

Thanks guys. I don't know whether there is a clear coat, or sealant on it or not, pehaps you can tell for the discolouration in the bottom pic.

This is what my alloys used to look like.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/5655/img00135b15dqy3.jpg

and now they look like this ( the center has obviously been sprayed black)

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/6971/05012008546gl0.jpg

Looks to good to be true.

i polished my wheels with autosol the other day worked well,do i need to put some sealer on them

I would like to know the answer to this.

I had black spots and some discolouring on my wheels, sorted it using copious amounts of the autoglym wheel cleaner with the orange label, spray on, leave and wipe all new again...!

Does it work for white spots too? (as pictured above)