The mkiv Supra Owners Club

spraying lower lip?

dannypunto

I haven't had it done but I would assume his concerns are down to it being a 'flexible' body part. The sort of rubberish material it is made from is to allow some degree of movement - too much movement would (I imagine) crack either the paint or the lacquer or both.

You guys that had it painted, have you any guess of what happens if you actually do bend it a bit, by fx hitting a steep something? Would it crack?

If i check mine, its scraped on the buttom part, which tells me it hits something once in a while and therefore must be flexing a bit.

My car is lowered some which probably tend to further this issue. How about yours?

you can get special primer etc so that it doesnt crack..

Any idea of what that is called?

I have done this on both of my Supras, first time myself, second time when the newer car was resprayed. When I done it myself, got the painters to put a flexible additive into the paint, no problems, I hit a few speed bumps etc and no significant damage, just the normal what you would expect on any paintwork.

Only difference was I had a FMIC so the lip was permantely down.

DSC01624.JPG

the stuff i used to use was just a kind of clear coat primer,i only really ever used it on brand new bumpers that were already not painted,it basically just give the paint a base to stick too then something else was used to add to the paint,sure it was called plastapack,anyone that sells car paints will give advice,but to be honest i wouldnt bother on the lip it should be fine.