The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best all round single turbo

mr keef

I know theres lots of opinions about the best turbo..power...spool...BHP...etc etc etc,but whats the best all round turbo?something that spools fast,low lag,good power,doesnt run out of puff at the higher revs...is there a turbo out there that people agree is a fantastic turbo that meets all demands?i had the T51R loved it on boost..but didnt come online till 4k but once online was mental is there something that comes online say 2k with great spool and power?

have your say..

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Go small, for fun on the rd 500/550bhp and fast spool is great fun and all that is needed imo,

I went from a laggy 670bhp to a fast spooling 550bhp and i can honestly say the smaller turbo less powerfull car was faster in 90% of conditions and far nicer to drive.

If i get another supe im gonna try a journal bearing GT35.

If i was going to Single turbo another Supra in the future i would like to try a T67 DBB on a custom cast manifold. As the T61 and T67DBB seem to be close in the midrange on SS manifolds.

Smaller Single turbo's like the t60-1, t61 and gt35 that i have mapped always have issues with traction in the first 3 gears at full boost which IMO can be annoying when getting off the line. But easily solved with a Speed Dependant Boost setup and R888's ;)

Then they are just incredible!

I have owned a few single turbo cars and run several set ups including T88's T78's, T04R's and T04Z's and the smaller turbos are great fun on the road, the T04Z was perhaps the best for me as it spooled quite quickly but had big BHP potential, I think the only problem with going too small is they are great fun but you may get a little bored and be looking for more power after time, I would say a medium size turbo is the best for a street car :)

There is a T67 on the graph with 256/264 not sure if it as DBB, I an going for 272/272 cams with the T04R in the new build, will be interested if this gets me through the 600 mark as it made 580 with the 264 ex and stock inlet cam

Out of intrest Dean are you staying with the AEM and who will be mapping it?

There is a T67 on the graph with 256/264 not sure if it as DBB, I an going for 272/272 cams with the T04R in the new build, will be interested if this gets me through the 600 mark as it made 580 with the 264 ex and stock inlet cam

sounds great, i think it should as its being done properly this time, just wish he would hurry up;) i might be blind as i cannot distinguish which line is the t67:rolleyes:

Out of intrest Dean are you staying with the AEM and who will be mapping it?

I plan to stay with the AEM yes, I have purchased an AEM dash mounted digital readout to tell me exactly what is happening with knock, O2 etc which is being fitted now, I have spoken to a few people about mapping including Ryan, will be very careful about this when the engine is run in :D

DSC00065.jpg

i am just having the t67dbb, with 256/264 cams, and aquamist, anyone else on this setup

Yup IanC has this setup is the Dark blue line on the graph.

If you click on the graph it opens up in a new window which allow you to expand the image more. :)

I plan to stay with the AEM yes, I have purchased an AEM dash mounted digital readout to tell me exactly what is happening with knock, O2 etc which is being fitted now

Arrh so it was you who brought it Dean. Saw this when mapping Roberts car, Great bit of kit.

Shame they cant be got hold of any more :(

Go small, for fun on the rd 500/550bhp and fast spool is great fun and all that is needed imo,

I went from a laggy 670bhp to a fast spooling 550bhp and i can honestly say the smaller turbo less powerfull car was faster in 90% of conditions and far nicer to drive.

If i get another supe im gonna try a journal bearing GT35.

What were the the 2 turbo's you had Jamie?

I thought Ian had a DBB Alex?

The stock camm'ed T67 is DBB and it was Homers, mine is indeed a dark line buried in there somewhere and it's the 256in 264ex DBB T67.

It's probably not at it's best due to a permanent boost leak in the wastegate area :innocent: and my lack of ignition timing up top, which I know Ryan is aware of and keeps twisting my arm about ;) Both will be sorted when the weather improves ;)

-Ian