The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie thinking about buying a Supra - Have some questions....

Guest DogSmoke

Guest DogSmoke

Hi folks.

I'm just trying to ascertain whether a Supra would be the right car for me. I have always loved them and would like to buy one soon, but if it's not going to add up financially then I will have to leave it until next year :(

Basically I'm wondering what kind of mpg I should expect, and if there are any differences between the JDM cars and the UK cars. My budget would be a max of £6500.

My car would be used for around 300 miles a week (this includes weekend driving) and my daily drive is a 35 mile round trip with about 22 miles of that driving at around 80mph on the motorway.......

What kind of costs am I looking at guys?? What's servicing and maintenance like? What are the service intervals/oil changes?

Sorry for all the questions, but any help appreciated.:)

25mpg, possibly 30+ on long runs.

I didn't find much difference between TT and NA, possibly an extra 20/30 miles to a tank.

With 300 miles a week expect to be paying £70 (more by the day it seems) in fuel a week.

The speed limit on motorways is 70 BTW ;)

Scheduled servicing and oil changes needn't be much more costly than a modern car depending where you shop.

Hi and welcome

Its not the best daily commuter if you are on a budget, 300 miles a week is a full tank and that is about £70, I would factor in £1000 service costs per year and £500 for tyres, thats if all goes to plan

The Jspec and UK spec can all be found with the search button above but the UK spec will eat up most of your £6500 and will more proberly be an auto, you will get a TT6 Jspec for the money though

Guest DogSmoke

Thanks guys. Really really do not want an auto! Not my cup of tea at all.

I am not sure what to search for really so thought best to just ask.

£70 a week is fine, even a bit more.

As for the speed limit, I meant 80mph on the speedo and mine over reads ;):D

In all honesty, it doesn't sound like a TT Supra is for you quite yet. An N/A maybe?

tooquicktostop is about spot on with the £70/week fuel and £1500/year servicing/tyres I would say.

.....but..... you're not going to get a decent manual TT for £6.5k just yet, I'm afraid.

People here will tell you that the auto Supra is really good (and they're not wrong) but if you feel as strongly about the manual as you sound, then you're not going to be happy with an auto anyway.

Please don't buy a manual for £6.5k just yet - you'd need to be extremely lucky to find a decent one at that price. My advice would be to try an N/A first if that is an option for you, also an auto TT if you can, but if these really don't work for you (as I suspect they won't) give it another 12 months before you look at manual TTs and see where your budget is then.

You don't say whether or not you're after an NA or a TT but with that budget I'm going to assume a TT.

However, is an NA an option? Use the money to source a spanking example and have some left over to either do some mods on the car to your taste or to keep in reserve for running costs.

Yes, the fuel costs might not be hugely different, but a TT opens up a whole new world of parts that could go wrong, need servicing etc. - ie running costs can be considerably higher.

Just my twopenneth worth...

Guest DogSmoke

Hi guys.

I really don't like the idea of an auto changing gear for me. It would take a lot of the fun I get from driving away.

The N/A isn't really an option. I want something that's fast and blows me away. If I don't buy a TT Supra then I'll be buying either an Evo 4, R33 GTST, R32 GTR or S14a 200sx Turbo.

The Supra is my dream car though and I'd love one if possible. I'm confused about there not being a decent TT for £6500 though, as I've been told I could get one? Argh!

I would factor in £1000 service costs per year and £500 for tyres, thats if all goes to plan

:blink:

My Supra has "gone to plan" so far in just over a year of ownership and hasn't cost me anywhere close to £1000 in servicing!

£500 on tyres is about £2 under budget though on what I've spent :D

As others have said, if mpg is a major worry, save for another year before buying the car of your dreams. However, if you take the plunge early, you won't regret it. The smile will be enormous. Your wallet may argue, but you can always earn more money ;)

I really don't like the idea of an auto changing gear for me. It would take a lot of the fun I get from driving away.

Its a very good auto & no gear changing means that you can keep 2 hands on the wheel at all times (trust me, sometimes you REALLY need both hands, especially in the wet!!).

I considered a manual conversion, but TBH the auto is damn good and I don't think I'd gain anything going to manual.... other than having to use my left foot and hand lots in traffic LOL

I'd suggest test driving both before condemning it??

The Supra is my dream car though and I'd love one if possible. I'm confused about there not being a decent TT for £6500 though, as I've been told I could get one? Argh!

A decent 6spd for £6.5k? Would have to be a seller in a jam or not as decent as it may appear.

A friend at work was adamant you could buy a tt6 for this money, every single car was a POS or had been to the fancy dress shop.

You get what you pay for, unless you are at the right place at the right time.

Hi and welcome

Its not the best daily commuter if you are on a budget, 300 miles a week is a full tank and that is about £70, I would factor in £1000 service costs per year and £500 for tyres, thats if all goes to plan

The Jspec and UK spec can all be found with the search button above but the UK spec will eat up most of your £6500 and will more proberly be an auto, you will get a TT6 Jspec for the money though

i thought he would get a j spec tt for half that:D

And you would know! :) [hijack] How is your new TT6 going? Did you need to replace the matrix?

Has not missed a beat yet, I have it going in for a full service on the 14th and a look at the matrix but it appears it is not the core but an air lock as I have flushed it through and have some heat now but can still hear air inside the system, it may go back up for sale when the single car is ready in a few weeks time ;)

Has not missed a beat yet, I have it going in for a full service on the 14th and a look at the matrix but it appears it is not the core but an air lock as I have flushed it through and have some heat now but can still hear air inside the system, it may go back up for sale when the single car is ready in a few weeks time ;)

Good for you! I saw the original For Sale thread and couldn't believe the price! Less than many NAs are put up for.

Sorry DogSmoke, I've hijacked you.

£6500 puts you well within reach of an auto TT, and if you're willing to wait a small number of months, may put some manual TTs within reach too.

If you feel the need for speed, then I would definitely suggest a TT. Very regularly people who have bought an NA come on here and ask "how can I get more power out of it", and the answer is usually "sell it and buy a TT", or "drop a TT engine into it".

I think the service/ oil change schedules are listed on here somewhere, but they won't be any more arduous than any other turbo car of the same age.