The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Full respray preparation.

colsoop

I have been thinking about a respray in the same colur or another silver.

After using the search button to see the costs of a full respray the consensus of opinion is £2.5 - 3 K. That is drive in drive out.

My question is what sort of prep work could i do to save me some pennies on that cost. Stripping the whole interior is no problem and light removal is no problem either. What else constitutes large labour on the repsray that a untrained monkey like me could do ?

remove everything, windows, Trim, bodykit, bumpers, lights doorhandles, spoiler, Badges, Take everything off the body work thats on or anywhere near to pantwork and you wont be far wrong... Stripping and rebiulding will save you a packet, but remember if you damage the paint on refit, its ruined so a lot of care has to be taken...

sanding the car yourself and also machine polishing the car yourself afterwards. if you did all of this and what jody had said all the body shop have to do it put the colour on and clear coat (some colours don't need this, i know the astral black doesn't) so the body shop can probably get that done in an afternoon

i wouldnt paint a car that had been prepared by a novice,also if a car was drove away because the guy wanted to machine polish it himself then theres a big chance he would fek it up either burn through the paint or laquer or fek up the flat process,dont forget its not just a case of banging some g3 on and away you go,the paint is often rubbed back down because of bits of crap etc...i find hit hard to believe that any decent paintshop would let you do any of this and knock money off,and if they did it would be a case of no comebacks no matter what the issue.:innocent:

i wouldnt paint a car that had been prepared by a novice,also if a car was drove away because the guy wanted to machine polish it himself then theres a big chance he would fek it up either burn through the paint or laquer or fek up the flat process,dont forget its not just a case of banging some g3 on and away you go,the paint is often rubbed back down because of bits of crap etc...i find hit hard to believe that any decent paintshop would let you do any of this and knock money off,and if they did it would be a case of no comebacks no matter what the issue.:innocent:

:yeahthat:

If I was a professional sprayer I would be reluctant to take on a job where someone else had carried out the prep. If the prep was cr@p or the customer ruined the paintwork by poor finishing technique it could harm the reputation of the spray shop. I would hope most sprayers take pride in their work and would like any job they were involved with to be perfect.

I'm still in the process of finishing my own DIY spray job. In my opinion it went fairly well for a first attempt (a pro would probably rip it to shreds :rolleyes:), but I can honestly say I've fooked it up in the final stages. There are small areas where I've sanded off too much clear coat and gone into the paint. Most people probably wouldn't notice, but the important thing is that I know. It's likely I'll re-do the whole job in the summer to make it perfect.

totally agree with this, i fitted all the body kit myself and modified the front bomex but when it comes to the final polish of the car this is a skilled job and needs to be done by the paint shop, how much would you get knocked off for the polish anyway ?

there is an awful lot more to prep work than just sanding, same goes for finishing, ie nib and polish, its not just a couple of hours work at the end;)

Tell me about it mate! I sprayed my last coat on my car at the beginning of October. Three months later I still haven't got round to completely finishing the detailing. Longest re-spray job ever? :rolleyes: