The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone used mr engine before?

razza

I think I've managed to find one through Mr engine, they also strip the engines down, replace head gasket and give 6 months warranty, p[lus it's with turbos unlike the ebay one, and don't want your old one back, not that it's much use lol!

I need to get my money back first on the one I did buy before I can commit though as having to pay to put the one I got back together, just waiting for an HKS FCD, so if you know anyone that's got one going cheap let me know.;)

hopefully all going well should be back on the road in time for the Ace Cafe...

The name of this company rings a bell, if memory serves me right someone posted a link to an engine on eBay from them that suggested all the checks and part changes, it was generally poo poo'd by the masses as being marketing speak.

Chiefgroover may or may not have posted in the same thread to say he had used them and been happy... I'm a bit vague on that and searching is too much effort at the moment. Anyone else find this tale familiar?

The name of this company rings a bell, if memory serves me right someone posted a link to an engine on eBay from them that suggested all the checks and part changes, it was generally poo poo'd by the masses as being marketing speak.

Chiefgroover may or may not have posted in the same thread to say he had used them and been happy... I'm a bit vague on that and searching is too much effort at the moment. Anyone else find this tale familiar?

Does ring a feint bell actually.

Yep that thread sprang to mind for me too when I read this one..... can't remember if it was MR Engine though?!??

Have you actually read his feedback? It's appalling. Most of the bad feedback has been mutually withdrawn at a later date, but there's a hell of a lot of bad feedback in the first place.

Remember reading it a while back, and it isn't favourable. Seem to remember CW pointing out a while back as well that there is no need to take an engine apart to check it. The feedback is very sketchy at best by the looks of it.

I haven't heard of Mr Engine, but if you're talking about the E-Bay guy then yes - personally I wouldn't use him. The full story of my engine has been put down here:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=127916

A few things have changed since then - notably the requirement for an exchange unit, although the engine is still the same price as when it was just the engine you bought.

If the engine sent to me had had a full stripdown then I will eat my own penis tbh, as there were absolutely no marks or signs of disturbance on any of the bolts on the engine, the rest of my concerns are in the thread above.

In all fairness Ernie (ChiefGroover) seems to have had a good engine from him, so maybe I was unlucky.

ETA: His feedback has nosedived since then too.

Be very careful, there are a number of engine sellers on ebay, most get their stock from a major car/car part importer. They often sell engines that are not in the country yet. They have a bulk buy contract with the supplier. These ebay sellers base their adds on the manifest of items in transit, from the UK importer. The manifest often does not match the contents of the container when it is opened in the UK. Several ebay sellers may, unknowingly, be selling the same engine. It is unlikely that the ebay seller ever sees the engine, as they are often delivered to customers straight from the original importer. When it comes to excuses some of these guys are incredible. As for feed back required for guarantee to be activated, I think trading standards may be interested.

I have used the importer directly for supply of engines, his prices are higher, but his engines are not on the manifest, if you get my drift.

People

Avoid these guys like the plague

There list of horror stories on various car forums could make a film

The fact they also have this wholly illegal text at the bottom of their advert says it all.

pay no attention to their feedback basically!

our courier to collect it at our own expense, failure to comply with this will void your warranty

picture for illustration purposes only, engine does not include ancillaries

Items ordred correctly that wish to be returned are subject to a 35% restocking charge

Warranty does not cover labour or delivery costs

Warranty is applicable once positive feedback has been left

Quote from a guy on mk 3 Supra forum

Heathrow Engine Centre? Dooooodggyyyy!

They didnt get put on watchdog for nothing....not to say they've not been scamming people out of hard earned cash for a while, no no, they stem at least as far back as 1994 with people losing upto £7000 for a ********ed engine, some people even got their cars back in such a bad condition they had to be written off....

Thats who these guys are disguised as another company on ebay.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED GUYS

They have never stripped an engine to inspect it in their lives..

you're not wrong;)

From what I've seen they are different outfits from the ones off ebay, and I'm bloody glad I've seen that thread about Heathrow Engines as they looked very credible, not the cheapest either mind:blink:

With Mr Engine you don't need to leave feedback for the warranty and they currently have the engine to deliver next day, sourced from smrengines. But still a little wary given these other cowboys...but am on a waiting game anyway......

Best of luck to you razza, I feel for you mate. As if the car dying wasn't bad enough you've had to go through all this too. Hope you can get everything sorted soon and get back on the road without too much further hassle.

Well played for staying sane through all this (or at least you seem to be!) ;)