The mkiv Supra Owners Club

VVTi

Supra Pilot

The Facelift VVTi twin(auto) Tip Tronic....

I drove one 5 yrs ago and found it rather hard to get to grips with using the steering buttons....

Can't fully remember the feel though, has anyone got a 'back to back' feel comparison with a standard 94 type Auto that they can share the experience?

Whats it like to drive compared to a say a 94 auto?

I believe the Trannys are the same(?), so in TipT mode does it shift nice and clean and when you want it to, does it give a sporty sort of manual feel using the Tip T. Or is it a Gimmick?

Also are there any more problems than normal with the VVTi Tip T?

Thanks

I have owned both and found that the tip is a bit more fun even though the location of the buttons is quite poor.

Perseverance paid off for me.

It's no where near as good as a proper SMG box, but is an interesting go between. I know other members feel it is more a gimmick.

Don't VVTi tips have a potentially disatrous flaw with kickdown at high speeds ?

I think the only issue with Tiptronic box's is the fact they are sensitive to the speed de-limiting/conversion process...ie they get a bit confused, but then that's our fault for importing them and trying to modify them from std.

I think the only issue with Tiptronic box's is the fact they are sensitive to the speed de-limiting/conversion process...ie they get a bit confused, but then that's our fault for importing them and trying to modify them from std.

Thats it, somebody did explain it to me once and i couldn't remember the reason.