The mkiv Supra Owners Club

a little help if you will please

philstowell

im still not into the techy side of things under the bonnet so need a question answered please,

every now and then in my sup when i pull up at a junction or traffic lights, anything where i put the clutch in for the stop, it cuts out, i dont even know what to start with? will a service sort the problem out do you think im clueless.

thanks guys n gals

phill

i only bought the car in the end of october and havnt had the books or any of that through yet so i have no idea when the last one was? some timesd the idle goes real low and seems like it is struggling? will that just be the timing? i am totally clueless with this kind of thing, what a car to start learning with though?

cheers, phill

Be worth popping a spark plug out while your waiting for the documents also have a look at the airfilter as these will be quite obvious if they need changing and wont hurt to look. Oh and dip the oil as well to see what state that is in.

Did you buy it privately or through a dealer as im supprised you dont have any details on service hstory etc over 2 months after buying it ?

im still not into the techy side of things under the bonnet so need a question answered please,

every now and then in my sup when i pull up at a junction or traffic lights, anything where i put the clutch in for the stop, it cuts out, i dont even know what to start with? will a service sort the problem out do you think im clueless.

thanks guys n gals

phill

Check the brake servo and piping for air leaks, clutch in= lighter flywheel,brake on=servo in use+air leak= weak mixture=stall.

Maybe, had it on a couple of different motors in the past.

thanks guys n gals

phill

If you just put it into neutral, and coast to a stop, does it cut out, or ONLY when you depress the clutch? If it's ticking over in neutral, stationary, and you depress the clutch pedal, does it stop?

If you just put it into neutral, and coast to a stop, does it cut out, or ONLY when you depress the clutch? If it's ticking over in neutral, stationary, and you depress the clutch pedal, does it stop?

its only every now and then, like 5/6 times in 2 months, but it is when i put the clutch in as im coming to a stop, i havnt tried coasting up in neutral to be honest.

thanks, phill

My old SZ did this when I changed a gasket on the water pump, I had to take the distributor off to get at it and put it down to the timing. Took it to my local garage and they said the timing was ok but it was a problem with the injectors.

cheers, im ganna try that red x stuff today see if that helps at all, im taking it in for a full service early feb so if all else fails they can have a looksee.

cheers, phill