The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Whats your wet road traction like?

Chiefgroover

How much wheel spin are you getting on wet roads - I dont mean greasy, just clean but wet tarmac?

Please reply with - transmission, diff, tyre, and suspension type please. Also if you happen to know your rear toe/camber settings that would be a bonus also, but I dont expect many replys with that detail.

Hopefully we can establish the best combos.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This question should really only be answered by 500bhp plus single turbo owners. Good diff and good tyres is always a good start anyway, other than that just take it easy in the wet :D probably spin in 4th on boost in this weather

Why only single turbo members ? Seems an odd statement to make .....

Not very good, breaks traction is 3rd easy

Stock JSpec LSD

V161 6 Speed

Goodyear F1s 265/30/19

RSR Coilovers

Geo setup within manufactures tolerances

No traction control

I'm guessing 19s with coilovers don't make a great combo for getting power down in the wet. I might add that although traction is poor, it is very controllable when it does go.

I have less wheels spin probs with the big single, now i have the car well setup than I had with BPU.

BPU @ its worst was - stock and slightly uneven caster stock setting of 17" on 18" wheels with directional tyres.

Single (& previous twins) TRD diff, -1.5 camber, 0.5 toe, no TRAC, RE050a, wheels spin in 1st only on dry road, and 1st and second in anger on wet road.

Happy new year everyone :)

shit.

wtf?

ME... bpu, tein super streets, 18's, eagle F1's....not 'too' much of a problem....can't comment on geo setting as they're still to be done, I think a lot of it is down to the tyre and the rear shock dampness (if that makes sense?) I set it to half instead of dead hard or dead soft!?!?

Interesting reading. On a wet road i have no chance. If it is raining i will get wheel spin (and i mean lighting them up) even in 5th gear.

Stock UK suspension - Recently aligned but has slipped already.

Toyo tires (outstanding in the dry) - Stock 17's

Edit: T61 - 515 at the hubs

How much wheel spin are you getting on wet roads - I dont mean greasy, just clean but wet tarmac?

Single (& previous twins) TRD diff, -1.5 camber, 0.5 toe, no TRAC, RE050a, wheels spin in 1st only on dry road, and 1st and second in anger on wet road.

no wheelspin in 3rd gear in the wet.... with your setup/power??? I am astounded! maybe they are spreading evo-stick on the roads over there now they have run out of salt and sugar? Bring you car over here; I doubt you will find a clean wet road.

I'm looking forward to see what the car is like when it comes back from Chris, but if it can hold the kind of power my car puts down at 1.5 bar 3rd gear on a wet road.... I will be doing better than the skylines! Infact I doubt 4wd could hold it in 3rd over here.

Although my 295 19's were pig aweful, and frankly unstable in a straight line, they did have good straight line traction, and new 275 f1's on correct offset rims had less straight line traction...

The drag guys pull the camber down to zero so I understand; to get a flat contact patch, but the car won't handle.

Mines and N/A 295/35/19s with standard suspension and quite frankly its a nightmare in the wet. It handles far worse now in the wet than when i had 265/30/19s.

2nd gear wheelspin is always happening, the other day i even got third gear wheelspin whilst gunning it.

I dont think mine is set up well at all (i know the 19s wont help). Any advice for a cheap fix as i dont want to spend loads on getting a full suspension setup at the present time.

Mines and N/A 295/35/19s with standard suspension and quite frankly its a nightmare in the wet. It handles far worse now in the wet than when i had 265/30/19s.

2nd gear wheelspin is always happening, the other day i even got third gear wheelspin whilst gunning it.

I dont think mine is set up well at all (i know the 19s wont help). Any advice for a cheap fix as i dont want to spend loads on getting a full suspension setup at the present time.

I am for buying a new set of 19's as well as 18's.

19's however, for traction you need to get the camber off as 1/2 degree positive static camber seems to work a treat, but for that you need adjustable arms or the like as I cant get the stock car to less the 1.5 neg.

Right now you could be running as much as 2.5 neg, consider the cars rear drops as the speed goes up and your chassis adds camber at a rate that suits 17" wheels, therefore when cornering or taking off your on the inside of the tyre only, your pressured contact patch is very small, you could have 4 degrees or more at that point. People get all hooked up on static camber settings, not considering what the camber gain will be.

Even with fairly tight suspension the rear of a supra will drop a fair but with launch and add neg camber.

BTW I have found directional tyres very poor at off the line.

Mike i dont agree with the drag guys on the zero camber not handling, RE050a on a 19", sidewall movement is almost nothing, and as the grip is massive camber gain will be added unless you have mahogany blocks for struts. I know a chap over here who has it, his problem is understeer instead lol, he may try a bit more toe in on the rear to see can he cure that.. I cant rave enough about RE050a (non run flat).

I always knew the camber was all wrong on 19", but I, like you could not pull enough out below 1.5. I did see some off centre bushes on mvp website, but I have issue with poly bushes these days. They also have adjustable arms there too, but pricey.

I don't know personally know if zero camber doesn't handle, was just something I was told, as it ws implied that a bit of positive camber in there is needed, and as you say it may work once the back end is depressed, after all lots of cars run big, wide wheels as stock. I'm no suspension guru, I'll leave that to the experts!

I have to say though, that the camber gain through travel must have an oprimum tyre width, offset and diameter to get the most from, all linked in to road conditions / spring rates, so it really will be a black art. Getting it perfect would probably need a full on guru and a lot of experimenting.

with the extra expense of 19" tyres (and the rate at which this car goes through them), plus Chris's advice, and the costs involved in getting experimenting to get it all right I decided to backtrack to 18. It may be possible to get 19's working better than 18, but it would take a lot of work I recon.

Good idea Mike, as -1.5 on 18" works fine, and the rear toe is to your taste really.

I use 275 on the rear which seems to have the load rating about right for the Supra.

Maybe during 2008, a few of us with known settings can meet at a track day and compare various aspects and identify the do's and dont's that will make it easier for others.

Ok folks, keep your combos coming and maybe we can identify the better and worse traction makers.

I find that the rear wheels wont spin unless there is tons of standing water or a very poor road surface. If its just damp or on a good bit of road I can floor it all the way. This is a uk spec on original wheels and suspention with T1R's

I can light them up in all 6 gears in the wet as the boost comes on.

That's with 275,35,18 Eagle F1's, stock auto diff, 6 speed box, lance W's geometry settings, KYB shocks, stock springs. That's at 1.4bar, 550+bhp and 440lb/ft of torque.

You must have the heart of a lion to light them up in 6th on a wet road at 4.5k....:blink: